Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip Joint Washers - Nylon vs Rubvber

Hello -

Just went to pick up some plumbing parts and was curious...as I noticed 2 new washers. I've always the Nylon washers. Noticed they also had rubber washer as well as a fairly thick ~square cut rubber washer~ meant for slip joints.

Is one superior in connection than the latter.
    The rubbers was was 2 kinds. One was think and tapered like a regular nylon washer.
    The latter was just a *thick* rubber washer - no profile to it.

Re: Slip Joint Washers - Nylon vs Rubvber

i prefer the nylon/ plastic slip joint washers. they tend to last longer without the rotting.

different brands of s.j. washers will take on different shapes. the taper ones tend to make a better seal as they work their way into the joint better.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Tapered rubber to older galvanized plumbing.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

not legal here to use a slip joint onto a threaded pipe without a descanso? fitting. basically it acts as a stop for the tailpiece to keep it from extending into the nipple/ pipe. usually it's a 1.5'' fip x 1.5'' slip joint compression fitting.

i'll see if i can find a photo of 1 online.

rick.

here is a watts mip x 1.5'' slip joint fitting. http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=2789
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: link
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          not legal here to use a slip joint onto a threaded pipe without a descanso? fitting. basically it acts as a stop for the tailpiece to keep it from extending into the nipple/ pipe. usually it's a 1.5'' fip x 1.5'' slip joint compression fitting.

i'll see if i can find a photo of 1 online.

rick.

here is a watts mip x 1.5'' slip joint fitting. 1902 1-1/2 in. OD x 1-1/2 in. Male IPS Desanco Fitting, Desanco Fittings, Brass & Tubular - Watts
          I hate those damn things....They always seem to be a pain in the *** to tighten properly cause of that huge brass compression ferrule.
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Rubber for brass traps and E.O.W. and nylon for plastic traps and E.O.W.

Comment

The thinner tapered rubber or just the *straight cut* thick rubber washer...
              I'm using tubular brass fittings.

I don't know if it's just marketing....but when you look at some of the manu. and the P trap kits....they seem to infer the rubber slipnut is a *upgrade-premium* over the regular nylon.

Price for price....the tapered thin slipnut is less than the *thick square cut* washer
              I've never used either of the rubber tapered or SQUARE cut.
              The square cut is at least 2X thicker in size. Does that matter or not .
              Last edited by mobiledynamics; 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

If its Galvanized pipe it get s the rubber slip joint washer every time
                PVC gets the beveled plastic

Comment

Working...
                X