X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tap into vent?

Folks, attached is a photo of (among other things) a vent entering the ceiling of a basement. This is the vent for a basement toilet. I would like to tap into this pipe to vent a basement sink. The existing basement sink is unvented and drains without a trap , into the cleanout of a blackwater basement floor drain. I inherited this mess...

The toilet vent points left in the picture and is galv steel. I would like the sink vent to point to the right, and would like to keep the toilet vent. I suppose some kind of tee, cut out the old elbow, perhaps cutting into the ceiling if necessary, whatever it takes. I have most of the tools to work with galv, PVC, etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Bert
    Attached Files

Re: How to tap into vent?

if i understand you correctly, you want to vent the sink and it's on the other side of the 90?

taking out the 90 and installing a tee is a lot more work than just cutting the gal pipe on the other side of the 90 and installing a sanitary tee/ san tee. basically a sawzall will cut the gal pipe and use 2- 2'' no hub bands to piece in the new san tee/ vent tee. since this is more than 6'' above the overflow level of the fixtures, i wouldn't be concerned with the extra fitting or 2 to get around the 90.

if need be, the 90 should be cast iron and a couple good wacks with a hammer should crack in half. but then you have the ceiling to still worry about. honestly just cut the gal pipe, section in a fitting and properly strap the piping.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, yes I want to vent the sink on the other side of the 90. Everything would be well more than 6" above overflow.

I think I understand your suggestion, cut the straight part of the galv pipe and install a tee and an elbow to go around the 90. I suppose going around the 90 or going below is equal as long as I obey slope?

BTW, anybody have any opinion on the use of AAV's? I don't plan to use one, but just wanted an opinion. I am not sure if code in South Bend, I believe Indiana is governed by 1997 UPC, don't know if they would even be mentioned in a 15 yr old book, I have only the 2009 version, woops.

Comment

if you didn't have a way to vent the sink. then an aav might be the way to go. but you have a pretty straight forward way of venting and it will put a smile on nhmaster by properly venting the sink

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

He'd be OK with an AAV if it was done by a pro, not by a DIY.... just kidding, uh oh, what did I just step in...

Comment

Originally posted by hochwald View Post
            He'd be OK with an AAV if it was done by a pro, not by a DIY.... just kidding, uh oh, what did I just step in...
            You owe Rick a milk shake. Me, 1/2 a cow !! And that ain't no BULL !!!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              You owe Rick a milk shake. Me, 1/2 a cow !! And that ain't no BULL !!!
              True enough, next time I am in CA.

I just left SF area to move to Indiana, I miss northern CA from time to time.

Comment

Re: How to tap into vent (follow-up)?

FYI, here are some pics of the work I did. Comments welcome.

The first pic is the vent as was original. The second shows what I tapped into vent. The third and fourth show the fixtures being vented. (The copper work in background is me slowly replacing the old galv.)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by hochwald; 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

bert, looks very nice. copper and plastic joints are very clean. except for the air chamber caps. you can pre solder the caps in a down position to prevent goobers, or just wipe the excess flux as you heat. also wiping the joint clean and a little sanding will touch that up like a pro. otherwise very clean work.

make sure to have enough hangers for the copper and out here, metal hangers need to be insulated from the plastic to prevent rubbing and cutting.

overall a very nice job.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

90 below the flood rim. Fail.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                      Good point. A st 45 (above the tee) and back to vertical with another 45 probably would have worked. Or a couple of sweep 90's (drainage fittings) below flood rim.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        Thanks, I guess it's not completely legit, but couldn't figure out how to snake my way out of the tangle of the set-up combined with floor drain (it's a short 90, lol, I'll see if I can snake in some 45's instead some time...)

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          bert, looks very nice. copper and plastic joints are very clean. except for the air chamber caps. you can pre solder the caps in a down position to prevent goobers, or just wipe the excess flux as you heat. also wiping the joint clean and a little sanding will touch that up like a pro. otherwise very clean work.

make sure to have enough hangers for the copper and out here, metal hangers need to be insulated from the plastic to prevent rubbing and cutting.

overall a very nice job.

rick.
                          Thanks, not to make excuses but I have an eager 9 yr old helping me sand the copper before I solder, and she sands half the pipe if I am not paying attention, allowing the solder to stick anywhere on the tube it cares to. The joints are wiped though
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks as good as any of my joints. (Always think I make pretty ugly joints compared to some.)

Back to venting. I can't lie to you, the 90, while not technically code, will probably not give problems. High loads coming out of the sink or other parts of the plumbing system could theoretically cause siphoning of the trap.....but I doubt it. You can correct it if if does.

Comment

Originally posted by hochwald View Post
                              Thanks, not to make excuses but I have an eager 9 yr old helping me sand the copper before I solder, and she sands half the pipe if I am not paying attention, allowing the solder to stick anywhere on the tube it cares to. The joints are wiped though
                              solder will only stick to properly cleaned and fluxed copper. since the copper is already shiny and flux when heated will continually clean the copper, the trick is to control the heat and control the flux running. take a dry rag and you can wipe the excess flux while heating. this will stop solder from sticking. along with proper heating techniques and letting gravity and capillary action work for you.

my 28 month old daughter is always helping me and knows the tools when i ask for them. but what would you expect when her name was going to be "piper"

starting in january i'll be taking her to lowes and let her attend the kids classes on saturday mornings.

glad to see your daughter helping daddy too.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X