Quality of Watts Fittings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality of Watts Fittings

Well as it turns out every Watts fitting in the system leaked including the brass nipples and the brass plug I had put on the shower arm to plug the system for the pressure test.

I switched to dope (Rector seal 5 which says can be used for potable water) and the leaks stopped. Good suggestion by Rick

I examined all the fittings I removed and I think it may be a quality control issue. The threads on the brass fittings are extremely sharp. When I removed the fittings there was virtually no tape left where the threads had been. The interior of at least one brass nipple felt sharp (like a freshly cut copper pipe before reaming). My guess is that the threads were shredding the tape.

Comment

Had my rough plumbing inspection today. Went well and congratulations from the inspector on a job well planned and executed.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with my questions over the several threads I had started in relation to this

Comment

i had no doubt you would impress the inspector.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i had no doubt you would impress the inspector.

rick.
          I'm sure some of that (and as it has been in the past) is due to the excellent advice from here. I think it confirms that there are some top notch plumbers on this site

Comment

I'm sure the plumbers in your area appreciate it. I'm sure all the "advice" you've received from this site was the cause of you passing your inspection. Why in the hell would you use a compression fitting when all you needed was a simple cap? Please don't tell me you're going to use the compression fitting to tie into your piping? Really?
            STOP GIVING ADVICE TO THESE HACKS!!!! If someone has to ask how to apply pipe dope and tape THEY SHOULD NOT BE DOING ANY PLUMBING AT ALL! WOWEEEEEEEEEEEE UNBELIEVABLE.

Comment

Working...
            X