X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of Watts Fittings

I recently bought a bunch of these so that I could tap into the several components of my shower system and do a flow check for correct operation. I did this by connecting NPT fittings to compression and then using tubing to run water to the drain stub.

All of them leak regardless of tightness. One male fitting used on the connection to the fixed shower arm became tight within two turns and could not tighten any further. Needless to say it leaked during the flow test so I did not even bother using it on the pressure test.

I then installed the real shower arm and it was very easy to thread and turn and is totally leak free.

Same problem seen with the other fittings - although they did not leak during flow test they leak during pressure test - for the pressure test I removed the tubing and installed a compression cap.

The tubing inserts are also a problem - they have an issue where they seem to be stuck at an angle and cannot be made straight. I ended up not using the inserts due to this. Since it was a temporary setup it was not a big issue since it was really to check the drain and also correct operation of the transfer valve. But I would be very hesitant to use these on any kind of permanent install.

The compression part of the fitting seems to be fine with no issues - just the threaded connections.

Just curious if anyone has have used these fittings recently and seen any issues.

Re: Quality of Watts Fittings

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    I recently bought a bunch of these so that I could tap into the several components of my shower system and do a flow check for correct operation. I did this by connecting NPT fittings to compression and then using tubing to run water to the drain stub.

All of them leak regardless of tightness. One male fitting used on the connection to the fixed shower arm became tight within two turns and could not tighten any further. Needless to say it leaked during the flow test so I did not even bother using it on the pressure test.

I then installed the real shower arm and it was very easy to thread and turn and is totally leak free.

Same problem seen with the other fittings - although they did not leak during flow test they leak during pressure test - for the pressure test I removed the tubing and installed a compression cap.

The tubing inserts are also a problem - they have an issue where they seem to be stuck at an angle and cannot be made straight. I ended up not using the inserts due to this. Since it was a temporary setup it was not a big issue since it was really to check the drain and also correct operation of the transfer valve. But I would be very hesitant to use these on any kind of permanent install.

The compression part of the fitting seems to be fine with no issues - just the threaded connections.

Just curious if anyone has have used these fittings recently and seen any issues.
    You threaded two different types of thread together...or typo? Watts is a good brand name.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Sorry - poor description on my part - fittings for the shower components are NPT so I used Watts fittings which are NPT on one end and compression on the other. NPT end goes onto the shower elbows (tees for the water tiles for making the pressure balanced loop). Compression end connects to tubing which is then put down the drain riser for testing flow and operation.

eg this is what is says on one of the packages - adapter - 5/8" OD X 1/2" MIP (or FIP). 5/8" OD goes to 5/8" OD plastic tubing. I then removed and capped the tubing end with a compression cap for thje pressure test..
      Last edited by blue_can; 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Sounds like some bad parts slipped by qc. If they were true compression fittings and you used plastic compression sleeves I am surprised they leaked. If you used those sharkbite type, often times they need the pressure of the water against the backside to seat properly.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

Actually I used the metal compression sleeves - I knew I was taking a chance without the inserts. However the leak was from the threaded part of the fitting - the compression part of the fitting is not leaking at all. However the inability to seat the insert properly is another issue - I was surprised to find that happening on one but all of them???

I have 3 FIPs and 1 MIP - the MIP was the worst out of the lot - the FIPS are better but all 3 show the same level of leak when tightened (1 drop every 10 mins or so).

Comment

did you use dope or tape?

personally we just use gal nipples and caps to test against. remove cap to flow test. then when they finish the tile the nipple and cap go back into the 55 gallon drum for the next project.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I used tape. Here is a photo for the handshower showing the situation.

The brass nipple will be left behind for the final install - the fitting in front will come out after the test.

Comment

About 7 wraps with the thin stuff.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  About 7 wraps with the thin stuff.
                  I thought the thinner tape maybe the issue so I re-wrapped with the thicker tape (3 - 4 wraps) - no change in behavior.

Comment

That should have been plenty with the thicker stuff. I would be inclined to think either a bad part of over tightened it if you went 3-4 wraps of the pink teflon. It is double the density I believe as the white tape.

Looking at the pic again, it may have been too tight. About a quarter inch depth on 1/2" and 3/4".
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

could be the new lead free fittings. i would have applied dope and tried again. both male and female if needed for the test.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

If it is lead free they are brittle and easy to crack.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

I will try again with dope. As I mentioned earlier I fitted the Kohler shower arm on the main shower fitting with the same tape and not only did the fitting in general turn much easier but I was able to fully tighten it by hand (the long tube with the bend at the end no doubt gives a mechanical advantage) but that is completely leak free.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                            That should have been plenty with the thicker stuff. I would be inclined to think either a bad part of over tightened it if you went 3-4 wraps of the pink teflon. It is double the density I believe as the white tape.

Looking at the pic again, it may have been too tight. About a quarter inch depth on 1/2" and 3/4".
                            It was looser at one point with the same result.

Comment

Next time just buy 1/2" brass or galv cap

Comment

Working...
                              X