Question on Thread Tape Color Coding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Thread Tape Color Coding

What's the difference between tape with a white outer ring but either a blue or red hub?

I recently purchased some tape with a blue hub and it is so thin keeping it from wrapping to itself was a huge task and had to start over many time. I then found a reel of tape in my toolbox with a red hub which I think is thicker and much easier to use.

Just wondered if the blue and red on the inner ring denoted something - I thought it was the color of the outer ring that denoted thickness.

Re: Question on Thread Tape Color Coding

Use blue monster brand.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Yes, Blue monster brand is very to use and it was organized.
      How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

keep in mind as you use tape for different situations, that if you are doing any gas piping the only tape that is legal to use is yellow, check the rating on it before you use it. If you are working on steam piping, pink tape is rated for that.

Comment

The two tapes I was asking about are both white. It's the color of the spool that is different. One is noticeably thinner than the other one.

On the spool both say PTFE Thread Seal Tape. Mil Spec T-27730A. The dimensions are given as 1/2" x 520" for the thicker (red) one and 1/2" X 260" for the (blue) thinner one.

Comment

There are only differences in the colored tape itself (thicknesses). The packaging colors are likely different manufacturers.

Other than color of the actual product and thickness I am not sure there is any difference at all to be honest.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

You are probably correct. I will check out the brand you mentioned next time.

Comment

I only use the other brand because it is always wound well. The other manufacturers have a lot of theirs wound to where you have to fight to get it out and then its a mess. If you have a good roll of the white tape there is nothing wrong with the product IMO.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                X