X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the dog house

What do you guys (sounds sexist but I guess you are mostly males on this forum) do when you're done with drain work/cleaning to get the smell from your hands? No matter how much I wash or brush my fingernails, my hands never lose the aroma.

Wearing rubber gloves is a joke, they just get torn up in no time and you can't risk getting the rubber tangled up in a cable. Leather gloves get soaked.

I found that acetone or lacquer thinner can dissolve the fatty black sludge that coats my hands, but it only goes so far.

My wife tells me to go sleep with the dog. That's OK I suppose, I think the dog actually kind of likes the smell, and I can still get WiFi in there...
    Last edited by hochwald; 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM.

Re: In the dog house

How bad are the drains you have been working on? Restaurant grease? I have never had anything so bad that fast orange or gojo w/pumice couldn't get off. Lacquer thinner and acetone soaking into your skin cannot be good for you. How about that clear goo you spread on your hands-invisible glove?
    Thats why I like drum machines

Comment

On grease, oil and soot a little Palmolive rubbed into your hands until dry works wonders before you get started.
      Last edited by Gettinit; 07-02-2012, 10:03 AM.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

i use to have dirty hands. but that was before i got married

the trick is to use the nytril gloves under the drain cleaning gloves. i prefer leather for the sectional.

i come home dirty from work, but nothing a shower can't clean off and laundry for the clothes.

the worst is abs glue, but gloves solves that.

flux is pretty much non existence with propress

mud is easily washed off.

the rest is years of experience knowing how to stay clean and work smarter and faster.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've not really done any drain cleaning to speak of (nearly every place I've lived in has had no problems). The only place I can think of that had drain problems was an apartment I lived in (this was in England when I used to live there) and when it blocked up I hired a drain guy and charged it to the landlord.

With the work I've done the most disgusting part of the drain I've seen are tail pieces in bathroom sinks. Hair, greasy slime etc. The bigger sections of drains I've cut into are very clean and no odor of any description.

Like Rick I usually get the Nitrile gloves for anything involving solvents or greasy substances (flux, dope etc).

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
            How bad are the drains you have been working on? Restaurant grease? I have never had anything so bad that fast orange or gojo w/pumice couldn't get off. Lacquer thinner and acetone soaking into your skin cannot be good for you. How about that clear goo you spread on your hands-invisible glove?
            Thats why I like drum machines
            I have been working on the drains of my house, which is about 90 yrs old, with decades of grease/sludge in cast-iron pipes under slab. The work usually starts with a magnet to pull the largest rust chunks out of the buried traps, especially the floor drains, then a 5/16" cable, then larger as more gets cleared.

I am thinking M80's might be faster and less messy.

It's mostly around the fingernails that never seems to get clean.

Comment

try taking a bar of soap before you start and scrape some bar soap with your nails. this way the nails are coated in soap and will easily scrub clean when finished. even a tooth brush will work to scrub. the auto parts stores even sell a product for this too.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

washing your hands in a strong clorox solution helps, (no it is not a cure), but it can help a lot, sometimes the black is there untill it wears out, or off, in and around the finger nails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the only problem with Ricks toothbrush Idea is your teeth end up black as well,
                Last edited by BHD; 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just tell your wife " Thats the Smell od Money "

Comment

Tried that, she says money can't buy me love, but clean hands might.

Comment

try telling that to charlie sheen

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I just wear the nitril gloves under my sewer gloves.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          i use to have dirty hands. but that was before i got married

the trick is to use the nytril gloves under the drain cleaning gloves. i prefer leather for the sectional.

i come home dirty from work, but nothing a shower can't clean off and laundry for the clothes.

the worst is abs glue, but gloves solves that.

flux is pretty much non existence with propress

mud is easily washed off.

the rest is years of experience knowing how to stay clean and work smarter and faster.

rick.
                          I definitely agree on the ABS glue....I seem to get more on my hands then I do on the fittings.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by hochwald View Post
                            What do you guys (sounds sexist but I guess you are mostly males on this forum) do when you're done with drain work/cleaning to get the smell from your hands? No matter how much I wash or brush my fingernails, my hands never lose the aroma.

Wearing rubber gloves is a joke, they just get torn up in no time and you can't risk getting the rubber tangled up in a cable. Leather gloves get soaked.

I found that acetone or lacquer thinner can dissolve the fatty black sludge that coats my hands, but it only goes so far.

My wife tells me to go sleep with the dog. That's OK I suppose, I think the dog actually kind of likes the smell, and I can still get WiFi in there...

If you're getting that smell on your hands that means you're getting the Chit on your hands too. No thank you very much! If you take the time to prepare yourself you wouldn't be having this problem. Use latex gloves under your drain cleaning leather metal studded glove. I don't even need to wash my hands when I'm done because I don't touch anything.
                            You're telling us that you're using your bare hands?

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                              If you're getting that smell on your hands that means you're getting the Chit on your hands too. No thank you very much! If you take the time to prepare yourself you wouldn't be having this problem. Use latex gloves under your drain cleaning leather metal studded glove. I don't even need to wash my hands when I'm done because I don't touch anything.
                              You're telling us that you're using your bare hands?
                              Finger lick'n good!
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • conductor fault locating
                              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                              X