What is it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it

I was on the roof of one of our schools and noticed something I have never seen. The hose bib coming out of the roof about 3 feet the stand pipe has some kind of cast stiffener around it. Not sure if that is what it is or not. It looks like a round ladder with a bolt in the top and bottom rungs to hold it in the middle of the pipe. Just wantted to know what it is for? Sorry I do not have any pics.

Re: What is it

If you have HVAC equipment up there it is mainly to clean coils.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Yup, it's a roof hydrant.... exactly like a yard hydrant, just mounted differently

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
        Yup, it's a roof hydrant.... exactly like a yard hydrant, just mounted differently
        Don't you wish they were on every roof near the equipment?!
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          Don't you wish they were on every roof near the equipment?!
          I try to tell commercial customers about it but they aren't the ones doing the work so they surely won't PAY to make your job easier. Greedy a-holes!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
            I try to tell commercial customers about it but they aren't the ones doing the work so they surely won't PAY to make your job easier. Greedy a-holes!
            I had to pull 500' of hose to clean a few air cooled chillers one time. It took longer to get the hose out and put back up. Of course the hose was charged to the job, they were not happy. A couple of years ago a man was pulled off of a flat roof top. He was trying to pull up a long hose three stories up, it stretched and stretched until it couldn't. He was at the edge of the roof....he lived though.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Yeah, i think we've had some injuries due to the same thing.... That's one thing I've thought since the very first time I helped the HVAC guys on their commercial maintenances that should be required by code to have one within 50' of every roof top piece of equipment.

Comment

I should have been more clear I am trying to figure out what the "stiffener" "ladder looking thing" is. Is it there as stiffener or what? It is a cast piece with four rings that go around the 1" pipe of the hose bib all the rings are connected on two sides. top ring and bottom ring have bolts that treaded into the ring and bottom out on the pipe.

thanks,

Ps we have asked our plumber, he has no idea

Comment

Originally posted by trykonxlgold75 View Post
                  I should have been more clear I am trying to figure out what the "stiffener" "ladder looking thing" is. Is it there as stiffener or what? It is a cast piece with four rings that go around the 1" pipe of the hose bib all the rings are connected on two sides. top ring and bottom ring have bolts that treaded into the ring and bottom out on the pipe.

thanks,

Pictures would be very helpful.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by trykonxlgold75 View Post

thanks,

It's the mounting clamp..... should be 10'' in diameter w/ 4 bolts that go to some nuts under roof deck. Probably the reason you can even see it is b/c it was installed after roof membrane was installed. Typically it would be covered over by the membrane if it were installed when building was built. The black piece that extends 11 1/4'' above roof is just a boot to keep rainwater out.

The model # is likely a Woodford RHY1-MS or RHY2-MS
                    Last edited by Plumber26; 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Yes, that thing is usualalready near the equipment.
                      How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Working...
                      X