X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX connection systems

Been investigating PEX as possibilities for some future projects. I've not done much with pex and in the past I was only familiar with the barb type fittings onto which you crimp a metal ring.

Now looking around I see various mentions of specific systems such as Viega PEX. Looked at that system and it seems different to the barb type fittings - looks more like propress.

Any insights into the systems that are currently available - pros and cons? For example are the barb type systems with the metal ring suitable for potable applications?

Re: PEX connection systems

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    Been investigating PEX as possibilities for some future projects. I've not done much with pex and in the past I was only familiar with the barb type fittings onto which you crimp a metal ring.

Now looking around I see various mentions of specific systems such as Viega PEX. Looked at that system and it seems different to the barb type fittings - looks more like propress.

Any insights into the systems that are currently available - pros and cons? For example are the barb type systems with the metal ring suitable for potable applications?
    All you need to know about Pex. Uponor - Uponor Homepage

Comment

uponor is aka wirsboro to the older crowd, uses an expansion type connection. it's the style you expand the tubing and the corresponding pex backer ring. then insert the barbed fitting and let it contract again. at 1 time the tools and expansion heads 1/2''-1'' were pretty expensive. now they've come down and milwaukee even sells a battery powered expander.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Viega is the leader in pex and propress, they manufacture both and no there are no similarities between Viega Pureflow pex and Viega Propress other than both systems are used for potable water. My best advice for you is to call a local licensed plumber.

Comment

I will research this subject in more depth. Uponor is also a name that came up when looking at this. The Viega pureflow info does not seem to show a cut-away of the fittings so I'm not sure how it is being joined. The info is probably there - just need to find it. They also seem to sell the barbed fittings and I think they say their crimp tool is compatible with both kinds of fittings.

btw I looked on the Milwaukee website and don't see any mention of a tool for pex. The common tool I've come across are the hand operated crimping/press tools.

Comment

here is a link to the smaller 12 volt expander 1/2''-1''..

Milwaukee Tool | M12™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION System | M12™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION ProPEX® Expansion Tool Kit

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Of the two systems Viega is probably a bit easier and less expensive but the whole system is more restrictive, especially the fittings compared to Uponor which maintains the pipe diameter through the fittings. Several companies make expander tools in both battery and pneumatic operated but unless you are doing a crap load of connections or are regularly working with 1" and larger pipe, the powered expanders are heavy, slow and if battery operated, the battery goes dead. I can probably hand expand four 1/2" joints in the time it takes the Milwaukee expander to do one. Technically, purchasing either system (Uponor or Viega) will not be possible for a homeowner. The big box stores do not sell either.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Technically, purchasing either system (Uponor or Viega) will not be possible for a homeowner. The big box stores do not sell either.
                Visit any Ferguson, they'll give you or anyone else for that matter, a hook up.
                Plumbing wholesalers, nowadays, are in the retail business. To quote ole Larry, Darrell and Darrell. "Anything for a buck". They are not concerned at all for the "plumbing contractor", and haven't been for years.

The only time they show any concern to a Plumbing Contractor is when he's late on his bill, or he finds out you've been buying factory direct from a "buy-sell" manufacturers rep. Them's some good times.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                  Visit any Ferguson, they'll give you or anyone else for that matter, a hook up.
                  Plumbing wholesalers, nowadays, are in the retail business. To quote ole Larry, Darrell and Darrell. "Anything for a buck". They are not concerned at all for the "plumbing contractor", and haven't been for years.

The only time they show any concern to a Plumbing Contractor is when he's late on his bill, or he finds out you've been buying factory direct from a "buy-sell" manufacturers rep. Them's some good times.
                  Not saying right or wrong but from a business standpoint....why would you not take advantage of the market when it is already wide open at the box stores? If these stores quit selling certain items to the HO then I would like to think they would as well. The only reason they would, unfortunately, is after a tragedy.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Yes I do from time to time go to Ferguson's for hard to find fittings or anything that the big box stores do not carry. I have not looked specifically for the fittings from the two systems mentioned but I have certainly seen Propress fittings there and I'm sure I can buy them so if they stock the pex fittings mentioned I'm sure I can buy them too.

Having said that I rarely see anyone other than contractors at the Ferguson I go to.

Not sure why they should or would stop selling after a tragedy - kind of like saying that tool manufacturers should stop selling tools after a tool related accident. In fact I just looked at a Ferguson sales receipt I had. On the back is a set of terms and conditions one of which removes them of responsibility the event of improper installation of product and any resulting consequences.

Comment

one good thing about viega is you can use the fittings and crimper on uponor but you can't use the expander fittings or tools on the crimp style pex. I carry both types depending on what system is installed so there is no warranty issue.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Had a bit of time this afternoon so I stopped by at Ferguson's to see what they have. They have the Uponor stuff but no sign of the Viega fittings. The Uponor fittings were available both in brass and some kind of black plastic like material. I thought the plastic ones looked a bit flimsy but of course they could be robust and strong and maybe just looked and felt a bit flimsy. The brass fittings looked more substantial.

Comment

Working...
                        X