Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power tools for prepping copper pipe

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Just sand cloth by hand,It's fast for Me.
    Good point - I've used sand cloth too and maybe it's the one I get but the finish with the pipe cleaner seems to be smoother than the sandcloth which seems to leave a more gritty finish. both joints soldered fine so I did not see any issues.

Comment

use the open mesh sand cloth. it works both wet and dry and is very flexible. it also sands from both sides and is easily rolled tight to sand inside a fitting if need be.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Well, I think you should replace all your copper piping with the Pex. It is very easy to deal with the Pex rather than copper. Installing, re-installing Pex is a very easy deal. Also, Pex is very cheaper than copper.
        Water Leak Repair

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Ha Ha - enjoyed that vid. I also own a Ridgid No. 15 and it's very good and fast. However, I was also thinking about cutting in confined spaces - while the 15 is great it only works well on new pipe yet to be installed. For tight spaces I have a close quarters hacksaw (as suggested by you previously) as well as the Autocut cuttter. I also have the Ridgid 104 and 118 (or 116/110 - hard to read the number on the tool) but even they have a limit in tight spots
          Laughing my a** off the whole way through. Thanks

Comment

I use the Milwaukee auto cutter, but I talked to Milwaukee today about it. I wish that the power it had going forward, it also had going backward. I have to cut out a lot of piping that is soft copper down in a ditch 12" - 2' deep. I also have been talking to them about making an auto cutter for Black iron Pipe. I am getting ready to go Mega Press for Gas piping. The only time I use a Torch these days is to heat up my Uponor to get it to shrink down around my fittings. Propressing Copper to Uponor pex that is what we are doing.
            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

What the video doesn't show is someone calling and crying about how their hand was cramping up two weeks after the event. You know how hard it is to listen to that?

When prepping lots of copper, I use my drills, one has the uni bit for reaming, another has the wire brush for fitting, the other has the sandpaper adapter for pipe.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                what the video doesn't show is someone calling and crying about how their hand was cramping up two weeks after the event. You know how hard it is to listen to that?
                lol

Comment

very informative thread. thank you all

Comment

Working...
                  X