X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tools for prepping copper pipe

As it turned out my recent project was a lot more complex than I thought with over 60+ fittings. I was quite surprised how quickly they add up. Cutting and prepping the pipe is tedious with hand tools.

I was taking a look at some power tools options. I see Milwaukee sells a 12V pipe cutter. Anyone had any experiences with this tool? Is it any good?

Are there any power tools for cleaning pipes and fittings. I actually think this is the most tedious part.

Bit late now but I may have even been inclined to spend the $ and purchase the Ridgid 122 machine but I now don't foresee anything big in the near future to consider buying this - but something like the Milwaukee may be useful addition to the toolkit.

Re: Power tools for prepping copper pipe

i own 2 of them. but still my trusty ridgid #15 will smoke a milwaukee cordless tubing cutter.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i own 2 of them. but still my trusty ridgid #15 will smoke a milwaukee cordless tubing cutter.

rick.
      Ha Ha - enjoyed that vid. I also own a Ridgid No. 15 and it's very good and fast. However, I was also thinking about cutting in confined spaces - while the 15 is great it only works well on new pipe yet to be installed. For tight spaces I have a close quarters hacksaw (as suggested by you previously) as well as the Autocut cuttter. I also have the Ridgid 104 and 118 (or 116/110 - hard to read the number on the tool) but even they have a limit in tight spots

Comment

I use the Milwaukee cutter almost daily. This week I used it for a repipe job. Cut out what seemed like miles of copper and replaced it with pex. The Milwaukee cutter did it's job and spent about three hours cutting out all the old copper. Two batteries did the entire demo, great tool and sure saved my hands.
        The hand cutter may win the race for a few cuts but the Milwaukee would have won easy on the tear out. It doesn't get tired and it gets in all the tight spots.

Comment

Cut the handle off a fitting brush and chuck it up in your drill.
          Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          As it turned out my recent project was a lot more complex than I thought with over 60+ fittings. I was quite surprised how quickly they add up. Cutting and prepping the pipe is tedious with hand tools.

I was taking a look at some power tools options. I see Milwaukee sells a 12V pipe cutter. Anyone had any experiences with this tool? Is it any good?

Are there any power tools for cleaning pipes and fittings. I actually think this is the most tedious part.

Bit late now but I may have even been inclined to spend the $ and purchase the Ridgid 122 machine but I now don't foresee anything big in the near future to consider buying this - but something like the Milwaukee may be useful addition to the toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            Cut the handle off a fitting brush and chuck it up in your drill.
            Yes I thought about doing this - it was not clear if the wire handle wold be able to handle the torque while scrubbing the fitting. Also the pipe cleaning bushes have no handle to do something like this - at least the ones I have.

On a related subject - for how long can you leave a prepped and fluxed joint before sweating. The copper handbook says within 24 hours but some other others say within 30 mins. I looked at the info for the specific product I'm using - H-20®95 Water Soluble Tinning Flux :: Oatey.com - but no info on this.

Comment

I've seen that video before and Rick is a beast, check him for steroid use I wonder if any homeowner would ever show that video to a plumber and ask if he would be working at that speed? Good stuff.

Comment

Rick you are one of a kind
                that video is a real hoot
                i dont care who won !!

Comment

Yes I thought about doing this - it was not clear if the wire handle wold be able to handle the torque while scrubbing the fitting. Also the pipe cleaning bushes have no handle to do something like this - at least the ones I have.

On a related subject - for how long can you leave a prepped and fluxed joint before sweating. The copper handbook says within 24 hours but some other others say within 30 mins. I looked at the info for the specific product I'm using - H-20®95 Water Soluble Tinning Flux :: Oatey.com - but no info on this.
                  we use to be able to prep all day and solder at the end of the day with regular non water soluble flux. even the next day with no issue, other than possibly some green flux at the joint to wipe off.

then came water soluble flux and honestly you really want to solder sooner than later. especially if it's humid outside. also always stir the flux bottle before you start for the day.

i would go to the supply house and buy some real good flux, like everflux. that oatly home depot stuff is not what we use.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Blue, been doing this for Years, works like a charm! I use 18 volt makita drill motor
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I need to look back on these threads to see when I bought my first propress. I know it's been over two years for sure and since then I haven't soldered a single joint. I'm going for the record for a full time plumbing shop and hope to never solder ever again. What's flux?

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        I use the Milwaukee cutter almost daily. This week I used it for a repipe job. Cut out what seemed like miles of copper and replaced it with pex. The Milwaukee cutter did it's job and spent about three hours cutting out all the old copper. Two batteries did the entire demo, great tool and sure saved my hands.
                        The hand cutter may win the race for a few cuts but the Milwaukee would have won easy on the tear out. It doesn't get tired and it gets in all the tight spots.
                        Isn't that what a Saws-all is made for

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                          Isn't that what a Saws-all is made for

I don't like using the sawzall for this kind of situation, way too much vibration and pinching. The Milwaukee cutter is very smooth and quick.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Blue, been doing this for Years, works like a charm! I use 18 volt makita drill motor
                            Well okay I guess that's for the fittings cleaners. How about the pipe cleaners - none of the ones I have, have any handles for using in a drill.

Comment

Well okay I guess that's for the fittings cleaners. How about the pipe cleaners - none of the ones I have, have any handles for using in a drill.
                              Just sand cloth by hand,It's fast for Me.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X