X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanout access

I have a cleanout in my front lawn that makes it a real PIA to mow the lawn. It sticks up about 5 inches above the ground. Does it have to stick up above the ground? Would it be a big job to get it lowered to ground level? Thanks for any replies.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Cleanout access

if it's plastic, then a simple hand saw will easily cut it. lower it about 3'' below grade and install a green plastic landscaping valve box flush with the lawn. then it won't get lost and is simple to mow. also they make in internal cutter for plastic. but it's not necessary to have it for this simple task. if it was in concrete, then it would be nice.

if it's cast iron, it too can be lowered, but a grinder with cut off wheel will make it simple. i have an internal cutter that would easily and safely cut it off, but it would take 2 cuts to get the 5'' and 3'' below grade. i doubt too many plumbers even own an internal cast iron cutter, no less have seen one or used 1.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;380601]if it's plastic, then a simple hand saw will easily cut it. lower it about 3'' below grade and install a green plastic landscaping valve box flush with the lawn. then it won't get lost and is simple to mow. also they make in internal cutter for plastic. but it's not necessary to have it for this simple task. if it was in concrete, then it would be nice.

if it's cast iron, it too can be lowered, but a grinder with cut off wheel will make it simple. i have an internal cutter that would easily and safely cut it off, but it would take 2 cuts to get the 5'' and 3'' below grade. i doubt too many plumbers even own an internal cast iron cutter, no less have seen one or used 1.
      Just the one? I would have figured you had a half dozen or so I have seen one but I can't think of any situation where the cost of the tool would ever pay itself back unless I went out of my way to use it a hundred times or so.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Rick. It is plastic. I have my plumber coming for the annual backflow test of the sprinkler system so I'll have him do the work. I don't know why the builder did it that way in the first place.
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Cost....................
          sigpic

Comment

Around here we call the internal cast iron cutter a 'Capital' cutter. Not sure why, maybe thats the name of the company that makes it.

Great to use on closet bends after the mud base floor was demoed and plywood put down during a remodel.

I use ours 5 or 6 times a year. I have no idea what they would cost now or if you could even find one for sale.

Comment

If it was Manitoba we would blame the sewer/water contractor for not setting to finished grade, as they are required to bring the lines to the house and not the plumbing trade.

We don't have outside cleanout's but have the same problem sometimes with the water curb box stem being higher than finished grade.

Comment

Yea, ain't they a hoot when you hit em with the lawnmower
                sigpic

Comment

Even better is when the concrete guys don't have them lowered before pouring the driveways and they catch on your snow scraper blade or snow blower.

Friend of mine bought a 3 year old house had that one of those in the driveway . The previous owner instead of talking to the contractor or calling the city to fix it, just painted the "mushroom" as the real estate agent called it ,florescent orange so it could be seen.

City came out in less than a week after Rob called it in, to lower it as they own the service up to the curb stop.

Comment

[QUOTE=NHMaster3015;380604]
                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    if it's plastic, then a simple hand saw will easily cut it. lower it about 3'' below grade and install a green plastic landscaping valve box flush with the lawn. then it won't get lost and is simple to mow. also they make in internal cutter for plastic. but it's not necessary to have it for this simple task. if it was in concrete, then it would be nice.

Just the one? I would have figured you had a half dozen or so I have seen one but I can't think of any situation where the cost of the tool would ever pay itself back unless I went out of my way to use it a hundred times or so.
                    i take it you've never done new construction plumbing with hundreds it not thousands of closet bends sticking up out of the slab waiting for the finish floor level before you install the flange.

i have both a 3'' and a 4''. with the 4'' being used 99% over the 3''.

if you use a grinder, then you just runined a floor with all the scrap hot metal and rust when it gets wet, coming off the wheel.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thousands? Even a convention center doesn't have thousands of toilets. Always use a grinder. Never ruined a concrete floor with it. It's unfinished concrete. What's to ruin? The finish floor is either going to be tile or vinyl and I'm setting the flange before either goes down.
                      Last edited by NHMaster3015; 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Thousands? Even a convention center doesn't have thousands of toilets. Always use a grinder. Never ruined a concrete floor with it. It's unfinished concrete. What's to ruin? The finish floor is either going to be tile or vinyl and I'm setting the flange before either goes down.

yes thousands. the largest project i was involved in was 1685 condos and townhomes in 1 development. the last project was 544 apartments, then there was 15 years plus of new construction in between.

setting a flange before you know the finish floor thickness or material is not correct. there are many high end projects that don't get specked out until the units are sold. nothing like having a flange too low and having to double up when you can have it perfect once the floor is down. but even worse is a flange too high and the toilet won't set flush to the floor. plus we don't set toilets on unfinished concrete unless the builder wants them installed before they sells the units.

an internal cutter is fast, clean, doesn't require power, safe and not expensive.

i even have 1 for plastic and copper. which seldom get used. as plastic is easy to cut with a saw and the days of 3'' and 4'' copper dwv are all but gone.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I always know what the finish floor is going into the project.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X