X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root killer

Roebic seems to offer two different kinds of root killer for plumbing sytsems. One is the standard, copper sulfate version (Zep also has this) and one is a foaming type that I am not familiar with. I have used the standard version (from both companies) in the past, with no problems, although this may be because the sewer line has no cracks or open joints. No telling, really.

Any opinions here on either of these or similar products?

Howard Ferstler

Re: Root killer

the foaming product / aka "root-x" is a much more affective product for several reasons.

roots traditionally come in from the top of the pipe. i know this from literally thousands of sewer inspections. waste water only flows the lower 1/3 of the sewer line. so pouring copper sulfate into a line is not going to get the chemical to the roots until the roots are hanging all the way in the flow of the pipe. where as the foaming product, when properly applied will get to the top of the pipe where the roots are. they absorb the root killer and die. then it will have several months for the roots to decay and wash away.

also the root chemical of the foaming product is much more potent than copper sulfate.

we all use root-x and have had good results. but your robec product is typically only 1# and will not cover the entire length of the pipe and they don't tell you the coverage of the pipe. root -x covers 50' of 4'' pipe with a 2# treatment.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      the foaming product / aka "root-x" is a much more affective product for several reasons.

roots traditionally come in from the top of the pipe
      . i know this from literally thousands of sewer inspections. waste water only flows the lower 1/3 of the sewer line. so pouring copper sulfate into a line is not going to get the chemical to the roots until the roots are hanging all the way in the flow of the pipe. where as the foaming product, when properly applied will get to the top of the pipe where the roots are. they absorb the root killer and die. then it will have several months for the roots to decay and wash away.

also the root chemical of the foaming product is much more potent than copper sulfate.

we all use root-x and have had good results. but your robec product is typically only 1# and will not cover the entire length of the pipe and they don't tell you the coverage of the pipe. root -x covers 50' of 4'' pipe with a 2# treatment.

rick.

Strange isn't it..... This seems to defy logic as you would think they would come in through the bottom sensing, tasting, drinking, growing towards the water that may have leaked out......... ?????????

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

roots traditionally come in from the top of the pipe. i know this from literally thousands of sewer inspections. waste water only flows the lower 1/3 of the sewer line. so pouring copper sulfate into a line is not going to get the chemical to the roots until the roots are hanging all the way in the flow of the pipe. where as the foaming product, when properly applied will get to the top of the pipe where the roots are. they absorb the root killer and die. then it will have several months for the roots to decay and wash away.

rick.
        This makes complete sense. Again, I may have not had problems, because maybe the pipe is OK. There are LOTS of trees in the front yard area where the line exists, so any crack would be a potential problem, big time. One could conceivably develop over time.

Anyway, it seems likely that the foaming type is not something you would install by flushing down a toilet, like the copper sulfate version. So how do we get it into the line? I know approximately where the clean out is, and I assume I would have to get to that, uncap it, and install the root killer via that access. If I do that, I plan on also putting an extension on the cleanout, with the thing sticking up out of the ground a couple of inches for easy access in the future.

Many thanks for the input.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

it defiantly is easier to mix the 2 part root x chemical dry and dump it into the cleanout. plus less of a chance of foaming over the cleanout than the toilet.

but the toilet is also an accepted location if a c/o is not available. the trick is to plunger out the water from the toilet bowl and have just a minimum there. as it starts to foam, use the plunger to force it down the toilet. up to 2# can usually be done with no issues. i also do 4# with the plunger method.

the truth is to install the root x as close to the root problem as possible. a cleanout is easier but not always available. a toilet takes a little bit more caution.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X