Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
    When was the last time your septic tank was pumped ? what floor is the bathroom with the smell on? What floor is the bathroom without the smell on ? Could be a clog somewhere from the house to the drain field or the drain field is starting to fail.
    The septic system was pumped in the early spring of 2007. I did not move in until late summer 2007. I am going to have the tank pumped this year as ongoing maintenance. Both bathrooms are on the main floor - it is a ranch house.

Usually, when a drain field clogs up, the toilets have problems flushing and the various drains such as the shower & sinks start to have trouble draining. I do not have any of those issues.

Comment

Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower JUST MAYBE !

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Just a thought " Is Your Brother In Law, staying over again ? "
      LOL... No he is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Rotten egg smell = anode rod
        Why does the stench only occur in the one bathroom? Seems like if it were the anode rod, the stench would be in both bathrooms. I call it rotten egg but I suppose it could be a small quantity of sewer gas.

I plan to do the 5 gal. bucket of hot water in the garbage bag test and see if it reeks.

Comment

Originally posted by khe View Post
          The septic system was pumped in the early spring of 2007. I did not move in until late summer 2007. I am going to have the tank pumped this year as ongoing maintenance. Both bathrooms are on the main floor - it is a ranch house.

Usually, when a drain field clogs up, the toilets have problems flushing and the various drains such as the shower & sinks start to have trouble draining. I do not have any of those issues.
          Yes, but your drain line could be partially clog somewhere ( where the inlet pipe comes into tank, the outlet pipe, overflow baffle, d-box, or tank full of solids) & your drain line becomes full, but still draining slowing making your toilet burp. Everything will work find until you fill the drain line up from the partial clog. Then the over a period of time the drain empties & you have no problem until you load the drain line more than it can handle. You use water from the morning to the evening than overnight you use nothing giving the system time to completely drain. I'm not saying this is your problem just something to check if none of the other suggestions locate the problem

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
            Yes, but your drain line could be partially clog somewhere ( where the inlet pipe comes into tank, the outlet pipe, overflow baffle, d-box, or tank full of solids) & your drain line becomes full, but still draining slowing making your toilet burp. Everything will work find until you fill the drain line up from the partial clog. Then the over a period of time the drain empties & you have no problem until you load the drain line more than it can handle. You use water from the morning to the evening than overnight you use nothing giving the system time to completely drain. I'm not saying this is your problem just something to check if none of the other suggestions locate the problem
            I am going to have the septic tank pumped in the next week or so as it is time for it's regularly scheduled pumping.

If I can't find anything, I will have someone come out and clean the drain line from the house to the tank.

Comment

I sealed off the toilet with plastic wrap, sealed up the sink and the smell was still there. I also noticed there is not a cleanout at the toilet end of thr drain run in the basement. Seems that there should have been a cleanout there. If the drain line from the toilet needed to be cleaned, the toilet would have to be pulled. Not sure how that got by the plumbing inspector.

Comment

Have you thought of sitting in that bathroom while someone showers in the other one? Pull the toilet, plug the drain, see if smell persists. If it doesn't like I think you are saying it didnt then you need to do a better job sealing the toilet to the drain. May rent a camera to inspect lines while toilet is off.

Comment

I did that last night. I did not see anything burp out of the toilet and the smell was still there although not as bad. It seems to be coming from the shower. I let the exhaust fan run for 20 minutes and the smell seemed to be worse.

I am having the septic tank pumped Thursday - just because it has been 5 years and is probably due. I'll see what the line from the house looks like when the tank is open.

Whoever plumbed the house when it was built did not install a cleanout at the end of the line so I will either need to pull the toilet or go through the shower drain with a camera to see what is going on. The shower is upstream of the toilet.

The vents from both bathrooms connect in the attic and go through the roof with a single pipe. I am wondering if the vent to one of the bathrooms is partially plugged.

Comment

Time to call in a professional. To me "rotten egg" smell is not sewer gas, it's a water problem, but everyone has a different sniffer so who knows.

Comment

Yep, rotten egg smell is usually Hydrogen Sulfide gas and it comes from the water supply. The other source can be the water heater.
                      sigpic

Comment

Pop the lid on your tank and have a whiff. see if it is the same smell. if not, it's not a vent problem or a wax ring problem. if it is the same smell, think about where the vent is located and if smell could be curling out of it and getting drawn into the bathroom.

You've said that the smell seemed to be coming from the shower drain. I''ve had that sulfur smell from shampoo crust buildup in the shower drain in the vertical above the trap, but you've said you checked that... look again and see if there isn't a thin, brittle whiteish crust on the sides of the pipe in the shower drain.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

wouldn't be HE Washing machine oder upstream ,would it Guys ?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Here's an update - I think the problem is solved. I think it was soap/shampoo crud in the shower door track. I thoroughly cleaned the shower door track and I have not noticed the odor since. My description of rotten eggs was probably not accurate. I will keep an eye (nose) on it for a few more days to make sure it's gone. I still don't know why the smell was present only in the evenings.

I did have the septic tanks pumped yesterday as they were due. The honeydipper said everything looked good in there.

Comment

Working...
                            X