Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

    I have noticed that there is a rotten egg smell in the bathroom after taking a shower. The problem only occurs in the evening. At first I thought it was the crud that builds up in the sink drain from toothpaste & soap so I cleaned the drain pipes. I also cleaned the overflow passages in the sink. I got a lot of crud out of it but the rotten egg smell still persisted. I checked the shower drain pipe for evidence of crud and it was clean.

    Since the cost of a wax ring is low, I pulled the toilet, cleaned under the mounting surface, and installed a new wax ring. No water leaks but the rotten egg smell still persists in the evening when the shower is used.

    Last evening, the shower in question was not used - rather a different one in the house was used. The rotten egg smell in the first bathroom was evident but not in the bathroom where the shower was used... I am starting to think a vent pipe through the roof is plugged up but the drains all drain fine and do not exhibit the "blub, blub, blub" sound like a vent is restricted/pluged.

    The house has city water supply and a septic system.

    What am I overlooking?

  • #2
    Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

    is the shower floor tile or stone? chances are the tile is allowing water to soak into the pan and when it gets wet, it will stink. i've found that by plugging the shower drain for 30 minutes and pouring a gallon of bleach into the shower along with enough water to cover the entire shower floor. let it soak and the bleach should kill off the built up bacteria.

    this has worked on every occasion. also pour some bleach down your sink overflow drain too. that never gets properly washed and rinsed.

    let us know if it worked.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      is the shower floor tile or stone? chances are the tile is allowing water to soak into the pan and when it gets wet, it will stink. i've found that by plugging the shower drain for 30 minutes and pouring a gallon of bleach into the shower along with enough water to cover the entire shower floor. let it soak and the bleach should kill off the built up bacteria.

      this has worked on every occasion. also pour some bleach down your sink overflow drain too. that never gets properly washed and rinsed.

      let us know if it worked.

      rick.
      Rick,

      Both showers are one piece fiberglass. I'll try the bleach and water and see what happens.

      It is wiered that when the bathroom in question was not even used, it gave off the stench but the bathroom that was used was fine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Water heater flue gasses?

        Water heater vent not venting sufficiently and flue gasses are dispersing in the house?
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Water heater flue gasses?

          Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          Water heater vent not venting sufficiently and flue gasses are dispersing in the house?
          Nope - the water power vents out the back of the house and is working fine. The bathroom in question is on the side about 50 feet away.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Water heater flue gasses?

            Anode rod deteriorating in the water heater

            Let the water heater sit for a few hours. Then fill up a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water only. Put the bucket inside a trash bag and close it tight. After an hour stick your nose in the bag. You should have a strong odor of the released gases from the water. If it smells like rotten eggs, its the anode rod.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Water heater flue gasses?

              Originally posted by bhead62 View Post
              Anode rod deteriorating in the water heater

              Let the water heater sit for a few hours. Then fill up a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water only. Put the bucket inside a trash bag and close it tight. After an hour stick your nose in the bag. You should have a strong odor of the released gases from the water. If it smells like rotten eggs, its the anode rod.
              Interesting idea. I'll give it a try but if the WH anode was the source of the odor, I would think the other shower stall would have the same smelly rotten egg smell and it does not. I replaced the anode four years ago because the dip tube was shot and figured I might as well replace the anode while I had everything disconnected. The original anode was hardly eroded. We have city water that is from Lake Michigan and it has a very low mineral content.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                Originally posted by khe View Post
                I have noticed that there is a rotten egg smell in the bathroom after taking a shower. The problem only occurs in the evening. At first I thought it was the crud that builds up in the sink drain from toothpaste & soap so I cleaned the drain pipes. I also cleaned the overflow passages in the sink. I got a lot of crud out of it but the rotten egg smell still persisted. I checked the shower drain pipe for evidence of crud and it was clean.

                Since the cost of a wax ring is low, I pulled the toilet, cleaned under the mounting surface, and installed a new wax ring. No water leaks but the rotten egg smell still persists in the evening when the shower is used.

                Last evening, the shower in question was not used - rather a different one in the house was used. The rotten egg smell in the first bathroom was evident but not in the bathroom where the shower was used... I am starting to think a vent pipe through the roof is plugged up but the drains all drain fine and do not exhibit the "blub, blub, blub" sound like a vent is restricted/pluged.

                The house has city water supply and a septic system.

                What am I overlooking?
                ...i know that you've said that the wax ring was changed, but i have experienced times where the smell got by the wax but

                didn't show any liquids around the base of the toilet. what i have done was run a bead of caulk around the bowl.

                that chore cured the problem for me. this may work in your case. if you do this and the toilet is on the second floor

                then you'll need to think twice about this because if you develop a liquid leak it could show up at the down-stairs

                ceiling. when i did this it was for a commode in the basement. just a thought.
                Last edited by halfpint; 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                  Try plugging the drain on the shower in ?
                  Use the other shower tonight and see what happens .
                  then we could rule out the water in trap in the shower of ? is not being sucked out

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                    Delcase makes a great point, take an old towel, fold it up and get it wet. (1ft X 1ft) Then plop it over the drain in the shower. Check the bathroom for odors as you have been doing. If you still have a smell while this wet towel is covering the drain then you need to look elsewhere.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower JUST MAYBE !

                      Just a thought " Is Your Brother In Law, staying over again ? "
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower JUST MAYBE !

                        Stuck auto-vent under the vanity?
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                          Here is an update on what I found last night.

                          I plugged the shower drain in the bathroom in question and also sealed up the sink drain, overflow drain and faucet. I then used the other bathroom shower and the stench was still there in the bathroom in question. That rules out the sink and shower so the stench must be coming from the toilet. Tonight, I will tape around the base of the toilet and put plastic wrap over the bowl to seal off the toilet and see what happens. In my opinion, it is either sewer gas getting by the wax ring or a plugged vent pipe that causes the toilet to gurgle, releasing gas into the bathroom. I'll just keep eliminating potential sources one by one. I wonder if I should seal off the sink drains along with the toilet just to make sure the gas doesn't come up through the sink if it can't make it out of the toilet? My luck is that with the toilet AND sink sealed off, the stench will still be there....

                          Also, what is strange is that there is no stench when the shower is used in the morning - only in the evening.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                            Rotten egg smell = anode rod

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rotten egg smell in bathroom after using the shower

                              When was the last time your septic tank was pumped ? what floor is the bathroom with the smell on? What floor is the bathroom without the smell on ? Could be a clog somewhere from the house to the drain field or the drain field is starting to fail.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X