X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering 3/4 pipe Tees?

Would a Oxy/LP set up work? What tip size would be required? Would a prest-o-lite torch be fare superior?

Re: Soldering 3/4 pipe Tees?

A standard Bernzomatic type propane torch will work, (no it not the ideal) and with mapp gas better, (I know I am not a pro) but I jsut use a large LP air set up made by Smith, I have more than enough heat,

to answer the question the Oxy propaine set will work,
    one of the problems I see unless you have heating tip, is that the normal "welding" tips, many time are all most to concentrated, keep some distance, and one should be fine,
    I use propane in my cutting torches in the shop and on the welding truck, the tip I use to heat and solder plumbing is jsut propane and air, its like a large bernsomatic torch, head, it came with my set,

your presto lite torch seems to be a standard in a lot of the plumbing world, for soldering,
    Last edited by BHD; 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks, What size heating tip would be recommended? I think the smallest I can get is a size #6 rosebud maybe a #4.

Comment

Originally posted by rodm1 View Post
        Thanks, What size heating tip would be recommended? I think the smallest I can get is a size #6 rosebud maybe a #4.
        I honeslty can not sugest, as I do not even know what my rose bud tip is. all I know is mine IMO is to hot to solder with I would probly jsut use a brazing/welding tip of a larger size, and keep a little distance, (and I do not rember the size of it as well)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I was down at the shop this morning, and If I was going to use a oxy propane set up with oxygen to solder 3/4" copper fittings with I would use a welding /brazing tip, probably a #9 (mine are numbered as MW209, Smith equipment) and keep th tip about 4 inches away from the fitting, and just put it in the tip of the flame. your only trying to get a little above the melting point of solder which is depending on the solder 450 F to 650 F, your silver solders are higher, and are more of a brazing process, and on silver solder I would suggest a smaller tip and a more concentrated flame in the area where one is hard soldering the joint,

clean the pipe and fitting, flux well, heat the fitting so the solder is pulled in to the joint, (solder will follow the heat) once soldered one can wipe the exterior of the joint to wipe away the excess solder, let the joint cool first before any mechanical stress is applied to it,

but like said before using the Oxy propane set up would not be my first choice, normally
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks that will give e a good starting point.

Comment

Working...
              X