X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathtub clog and sewer gas smell?

We're getting the bathroom sink backing up into the tub in our 1924 house. That should mean that there's a clog in the feeder from the pipe that runs from both the sink and the tub to the main stack. But we're also getting a sewer gas smell, and I don't understand how that's even possible. If there's a block before the stack, then gas shouldn't be coming up, plus I don't see why either trap would be empty - or I don't understand how it all works. I'm wondering whether there's more going on here than I think, and this isn't just a simple clog. We keep having this problem. Anyone?

Thanks.

Re: bathtub clog and sewer gas smell?

Originally posted by michigan48104 View Post
    We're getting the bathroom sink backing up into the tub in our 1924 house. That should mean that there's a clog in the feeder from the pipe that runs from both the sink and the tub to the main stack. But we're also getting a sewer gas smell, and I don't understand how that's even possible. If there's a block before the stack, then gas shouldn't be coming up, plus I don't see why either trap would be empty - or I don't understand how it all works. I'm wondering whether there's more going on here than I think, and this isn't just a simple clog. We keep having this problem. Anyone?
    ...i'm wondering if your toilet may be clogged. has it been working correctly? in any event i think i'd call a competent plumber and have him or her address the problem. they could solve all the annoyances.

Comment

I would imagine that you are getting the smell as you run the sink. The water makes it's way into the tub, which sounds like it's wet vented from the sink, and the water displaces the air in that drain causing it to "burp" until all the air is out then the water enters the tub. This issue would be best addressed by cleaning the entire line from the vent. The vent may be tied into the stack in which case that vent would get cleaned from the attic. If it goes out of the roof all on it's own, then it gets cleaned from the roof (=best case scenario). Good luck.

Comment

it could be a vent problem, no venting pushes the water up in the tub and then sucks the trap dry as it passes, and letting in sewer gas,

but most likely you have some thing that is stopped up,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Sounds like a simple blockage in the 1 1/2"/1 1/4" line to me.

Rod from the sink and it should pop open.
          Last edited by AssTyme; 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Just an update. I had the plumber out. He thought the smell was probably just the mold and junk in the line that I mistook for sewer gas. He couldn't reproduce the smell, so he was a bit stumped otherwise. I do plan to check the vent tho. He thought the toilet was clogging because it was an old, cheap model. Dunno if that's the case - it's been clogging more over time - but it's time to get a new toilet anyways, so I'll do that. Finally, the clog. Some previous owner of the house apparently did a jury-rig on the plumbing; he couldn't get a snake thru the clog because it was in the T pipe about halfway between the sink and tub. (We've had this specific problem only once before, and that plumber worked about 2 hours to snake the line. Unfortunately, that plumber no longer works at the company, and I didn't think to ask him how he did it.) In any case, the current plumber was pretty sure that if he pulled the toilet, he could get to the spot, and I can believe that since access to the T pipe will be trivial at that point. We'll do that when the toilet is replaced next week.

Lessons, fwiw - Houses should have memories. It would be really great to know what the previous owner thought he was doing and also what the previous plumber did.

Comment

And thanks all for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X