Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless Water Heater

Hello Guys,
    I have one question that I have had conflicting answers about. Are the bugs worked out of the tankless water heaters yet and are they a viable replacement for a homeowners 40 gal. water heater now? What are the drawbacks with them? Any particular type or brand that you guys recommend? Thanks a lot.
    Take care
    TPS

Re: Tankless Water Heater

They are electronic and mechanical, they will always have bugs in them and proper installation goes a long way. One may be better than the other with regards to warranty and parts availability. If you are proactive with your preventative maintenance any brand will give you good service. Find a qualified installer that will be able to service it. Many installers can not service them. Oh, and just because their name is on the website doesn't mean they are qualified.

I like Noritz for the big jobs as they can have a lot higher BTU's than the other manufacturers. I like Rinnai for the more basic installs. If it has a recirculating system I like Takagi due to their warranty concerning the application. Rheem is good to service around here because I can drive about an hour and be at the local distributors warehouse and pick most anything up the same day.

I personally do not like them and think that they are not saving anyone money.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

the only thing green about them is the person who sells you one and the person who replaces one. they're the ones who make the green.

save your green and go back with a 40 or a 50. you'll never see the savings, guaranteed.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

We call them instantaneous you call them tankless the basic ones like bosch hydropower where there is no pilot light and no need for a power supply is great but the rinnai and rheem are electronic and when something goes wrong your in heaps of trouble and if you have a power blackout all you get is cold water if I was you I`d get a new gas mains pressure tanked hot water unit

Tony

Comment

Tony has it almost right and Rick is nearly on the money too. Over here Rinnai is GOD because the advertising gurus have done their job and they are all over it - the MEDIA. Bang for buck go with a gas storage heater, efficient and reasonable to run(unless you have small kids who love hot showers). I like the idea of the Commercial range but TOO EXPENSIVE for a house. As for Solar, well it would be good if they would redesign it to work instead of cost which it does endlessly.

Dont know whether you have Aquamax over there but it was the first 5star storage unit. 10yr warranty and stainless steel cylinder. Rheem was loosing market place, couoldnt beat them so manipulated its way to buy the company. Still good for now but.......................... watch this space fopr updates later.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            We call them instantaneous you call them tankless the basic ones like bosch hydropower where there is no pilot light and no need for a power supply is great but the rinnai and rheem are electronic and when something goes wrong your in heaps of trouble and if you have a power blackout all you get is cold water if I was you I`d get a new gas mains pressure tanked hot water unit

Tony
            We don't call them instantaneous here in the US because the customer then assumes they will have hot water instantly at all fixtures. More than once a plumber has installed a tankless here at the request of a homeowner asking for a instantaneous heater only to get into payment troubles later.

Comment

Best application for a tankless wh is a pool or guest house that is not occupied constantly (resulting in no energy use while vacant) w/ the heater right next to the bathroom so the hw piping runs and purge times are minimal.
              Worst application; whole house with a recirc pump cycling the heater all the time, and wasting any of the hyped savings.
              2nd worst application; Retro fit on an existing tank which will require the additional costs of a new gas line and Cat III flue, thus driving your break even point out past a decade.
              Last edited by Plumbus; 08-26-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

"We don't call them instantaneous here in the US because the customer then assumes they will have hot water instantly at all fixtures. More than once a plumber has installed a tankless here at the request of a homeowner asking for a instantaneous heater only to get into payment troubles later."

Not to mention Minnesota's winter incoming water temps driving down the useful water output, making a mess of the manufacture's claims.
                Last edited by Plumbus; 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  "We don't call them instantaneous here in the US because the customer then assumes they will have hot water instantly at all fixtures. More than once a plumber has installed a tankless here at the request of a homeowner asking for a instantaneous heater only to get into payment troubles later."

Not to mention Minnesota's winter incoming water temps driving down the useful water output, making a mess of the manufacture's claims.
                  Lets be fair, how many people actually look at the temperature rise charts. Most cave in to give the HO the smallest heater because it fits their price range. Even if you do give them the correct size for their house while keeping in mind their usage habits it is almost pointless when they never descale the heater. Even if they were bullet proof and tailored to everyone, almost nobody keeps up with maintenance issues. If the avg. HO would understand the product in its entirety rather than the sales pitch we would all be better off. At least they wouldn't be so inclined to hang us.....maybe.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

tomorrow i have a 34 month old noritz condensing tankless to replace a copper internal drain line assembly. not even a 3 year old heater has failed and the heater was properly flushed 12 months ago.

noritz mailed them the part the next day for free. but my labor is not covered.

when was the last time you've seen a $200 tank heater go bad in under 3 years.

now think about this $2,000. tankless leaking in under 3 years. add in the annual maintenance, intial cost and there will never be a payback in anyones lifetime.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      tomorrow i have a 34 month old noritz condensing tankless to replace a copper internal drain line assembly. not even a 3 year old heater has failed and the heater was properly flushed 12 months ago.

noritz mailed them the part the next day for free. but my labor is not covered.

when was the last time you've seen a $200 tank heater go bad in under 3 years.

now think about this $2,000. tankless leaking in under 3 years. add in the annual maintenance, intial cost and there will never be a payback in anyones lifetime.

rick.

Now if only these HO's were made aware before purchasing! Tell me how many plumbers (without HVAC experience) would know how corrosive that water really is? You will be back in another 2-3 years.

I have yet to install a condensing WH. I will not, period. I would like to know why any idiot, especially their engineers, would put a copper drain line with highly corrosive water going through it. If I were you Rick, I would see if there is anything else you could pipe it with.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

funny you mentioned that. the owner was talked into the condensing unit for the rebate. what's even funnier is that it's an outdoor install, no need to pipe the venting.

the new replacement part is now made with stainless. original was copper.

i'll get some photos of it.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I can think of one tankless installation that made sense. I've got a customer who has an obscene amount of pv solar panels who would rather use the energy produced than sell it to her utility at a deep discount. Thus, her property manager goes around thinking up ways to burn the surplus. So, I've put in a 2x40 amp Steibel Eltron unit for tempering the hose bibs in her tropical plant green house. Under the circumstances this otherwise uneconomical use of electricity is a good fit.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                            I feel like I have been to a HO school! This has got to be the most informative site on the web. I appreciate the information and will steer away from one for sure. I appreciate the honest, informative and professional opinions. By the way are any of these tankless WH made for an all electric home? Just wondering.
                            Thanks again for the great professional and informative information.
                            Have a great day,
                            TPS

Comment

Even the manufacturers salesmen will steer you clear of them.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X