X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump Problems

A couple of days ago I discovered my backup sump pump running continuously. The water sensor on my primary pump was dirty and the backup had come on but not shut off. I don't know how long it was running, but it was hot and the battery was down. Ridgid sent me a new switch for the pump which I just installed. The pump now turns on and off like it should, but when I put water in the sump pit it isn't pumping it out. It just runs. The primary pump is working fine now. I'm thinking the continuous running burned up the back up pump. Is that right or is there something else I might be missing?? Thanks

Re: Sump Pump Problems

If it ran without pumping any water for a period of time more than 15 minutes, it could have nuked the impeller.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I talked to Ridgid today. They are sending me a new impeller, and if that doesn't work, hopefully a new pump.

Comment

Impeller was melted from the shaft. New one on. Pump is working again.

Comment

if the impeller melted, i would be very worried that the shaft seal is also toasted. of course you will find out the hard way when the dielectric oil in the motor has leaked out and water fills your pump.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

A good sump pump, tied to a properly installed, working foundation drainage system is a homeowner’s first line of defense against basement flood. Sump pump failure, on the other hand, is the cause of many basement floods. Sump pumps are mechanical devices, therefore prone to malfunction, and they need a source of power to work. They can also be improperly installed, which can interfere with the way they function and, since there are so many types, brands, models and capacities, it is hard for a homeowner without the proper knowledge, to pick the right pump for the job. Below are the most common types of sump pump failure, and what you need to do to prevent them.
            "Ruhrpumpen.com" Leading Manufacturer Of High Quality Centrifugal Pump

Comment

wow! centrifugal pumps and parts cause sump pump failure....
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
              X