X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 turn wall hydrant repair

I have to repair 2 JR Smith wall hydrants with 1/4 turn ceramic disc cartridges. They give you a deep well socket in the repair kit. I used my 3/8 extensions to loosen the existing cartridge, but I can't get it out! Any suggestions on what to use to pull the cartridge out the rest of the 14"? The cartidge is brass, so a magnet won't work. Best I can think of is to try and weld some extensions on a pair of needle nose pliers, but there has got to be a better way. What am I doing wrong?

Re: 1/4 turn wall hydrant repair

Put a cap on the hose threads, have someone stand in front of the hosebib with a trash can and throw the water back onto it. That or buy one of Gears plungers.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

thanks!

Comment

I've done the "turn water on to remove cartridge trick". Be aware what the cartridge can hit when it comes out. In my case I put a dent in a car parked across the sidwalk.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          Put a cap on the hose threads, have someone stand in front of the hosebib with a trash can and throw the water back onto it. That or buy one of Gears plungers.
          sounds exciting !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            sounds exciting !
            Keeping in mind what Ben said, the smaller/thinner the trash can the more exciting it could be.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

both were adjacent to parks so no worries about damage. Both are good to go now
              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X