Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to do preventative maintenance on my drain lines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to do preventative maintenance on my drain lines?

I have PVC for my drains, and it goes to the city sewer system (no septic). Another forum had some guy raving about using a product called Thrift to break down gunk in his pipes. Seeing as we use soaps, shampoo, HE laundry detergent, dishwasher, garbage disposal, I imagine gunk can build up anywhere south of a drain.

If this is true, what can a homeowner do to address it before it becomes a problem? FWIW, I have 2 basement cleanouts, where they each look down a wye, so I wonder if adding this or any other solution through these big openings (or my sink drains) is a good idea or not. Or if I should just wait for a backup and call someone.

Not trying to put anyone out of business, just being a little proactive!

Re: Is it worth it to do preventative maintenance on my drain lines?

If its not broke why worry about it.
    If you just want to do something
    Fill up your kitchen sink with hot soapy water and let it drain its just as good as most of the off the shelf products

Comment

plastic stays very clean. i wouldn't waste any money on snake oil.

if and when it does need service, jetting will make that plastic look brand new.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Do you have issues w/ drainage? Thrift is garbage! If you decide to use it, get yourself a supply of slip joint washers b/c Thrift isn't nice to them! I only recommend a drain machine or a jetter is the best maintenance but PVC requires little to no maintenance.

Comment

Save your money for when you need it. The guys above have you covered. Couldnt agree any more than this...........!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. It does make sense to do preventative in some situations; those where the ramifications of a stoppage are such that they justify the expense of the pm. For example I do all 27 kitchen sinks in one complex twice a year. It makes sense for this building because, the way the drains are laid out, a stoppage in one of these lines typically leads to the ceiling falling out of the kitchen in the unit below. The damage plus the lost rental income from just one of those incidents easily pays for two years of pm.

I also do pm at customer request, more or less pointlessly imho, because they've got plenty $ and the cost is inconsequential to them and they simply prefer the peace of mind to having to wait a few hours should the problem one day recur.

I also do pm, again I think pointlessly in terms of function of the system, on a few different properties at HOA manager request because, should they have an ins claim due to backup, they want to be able to show due dilligence in the form of pm invoices to the ins co. I've not looked into it in depth, but at least one mgr has told me that by having me do it he gets a break on ins premiums that almost covers the cost of having the work done.

But, in general, and especially for a single family home, I agree with the others; save your $. Also, anything you pour in like "Thrift", with rare exceptions (Rootx is good, ccls too), is junk. Largely the only pm worth doing is jetting.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

If your sewer is all PVC you shouldn't have to worry about roots. I recommend not using the garbage disposal at all. Don't flush baby wipes, tampons, paper towels, or anything else that's not toilet paper. Put a lint trap on your washing machine hose and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. It does make sense to do preventative in some situations; those where the ramifications of a stoppage are such that they justify the expense of the pm. For example I do all 27 kitchen sinks in one complex twice a year. It makes sense for this building because, the way the drains are laid out, a stoppage in one of these lines typically leads to the ceiling falling out of the kitchen in the unit below. The damage plus the lost rental income from just one of those incidents easily pays for two years of pm.

I also do pm at customer request, more or less pointlessly imho, because they've got plenty $ and the cost is inconsequential to them and they simply prefer the peace of mind to having to wait a few hours should the problem one day recur.

I also do pm, again I think pointlessly in terms of function of the system, on a few different properties at HOA manager request because, should they have an ins claim due to backup, they want to be able to show due dilligence in the form of pm invoices to the ins co. I've not looked into it in depth, but at least one mgr has told me that by having me do it he gets a break on ins premiums that almost covers the cost of having the work done.

But, in general, and especially for a single family home, I agree with the others; save your $. Also, anything you pour in like "Thrift", with rare exceptions (Rootx is good, ccls too), is junk. Largely the only pm worth doing is jetting.
                ACE, sorry not Devil's Advocate at all. Different situation wouldnt you say. Good to see someone who actually believes in pm . You are lucky the Client has the bucks to spend. Most times here we face accountants who dont believe even when you show then seesnake survey. Think you are trying to get it over them. Then there is the Property manager who is too scared to authorise pm becasue the problem hasnt arisen but when it does blames us for not looking after it to prevent it. Double edge sword. Gotta lookat the details and the ramifications for not being proactive

Comment

Working...
                X