Interesting repair on pipe, it lasted over 50 years,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting repair on pipe, it lasted over 50 years,

A month or so I asked about pulling in a new pipe in in a old galvanized pipe, and this pipe was leaking but had not found out where,

I knew suspected I was loosing water but had not found it, I looked over into the neighbors field, and noticed a green sheen so I went out to the area just about 100 feet in the field, (at one time there was a stock tank in that field, I do not remember it but know I was told about it), so my guess it has been at least 50 years, (my grandfather had that land at one time, before he transfer it to his daughter and her husband.)

well the green sheen was moss on the water that was standing there, there was a small hole in the ground about 3/4 of an inch bubbling up water, so I call the current care taker of the ground, and then get my home made back hoe and start digging, (thinking or guessing on which way the pipe was running, I guessed wrong, and caught the pipe and it was cut, from what I could tell, the area patched was once where a tee, that fed the tank and had been cut out,

but the repair appeared to be an bicycle inter tube wired on, hey it only lasted 50+ years, this is a gravity feed system so very little pressure,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Interesting repair on pipe, it lasted over 50 years,

did they even have tubes 50 years ago

i've used 7/8'' dishwasher hose in a pinch.

post a photo of you home made backhoe. i would love to see your creativity.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

the pictures are not the best, but they show the hoe, and the under frame, I should rebuild the out riggers, they are to low, in some conditions,
      it is a little small for the tractor or the tractor I have it mount to is a little big, by that I mean I can not easily lift the rear of the tractor and move it as easy to reposition it as I would like, I can easily more it back,

but for what I use it for it sure beats a shovel,
      Attached Files
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

amazing

did you design it on your own or was there a set of plans that you fabed it from?

i guess you stand on the rear platform to operate it?

a work of art.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          the pictures are not the best, but they show the hoe, and the under frame, I should rebuild the out riggers, they are to low, in some conditions,
          it is a little small for the tractor or the tractor I have it mount to is a little big, by that I mean I can not easily lift the rear of the tractor and move it as easy to reposition it as I would like, I can easily more it back,

but for what I use it for it sure beats a shovel,
          Great fab! Farmers the most talented of us all, and they feed Us Two
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            did they even have tubes 50 years ago
            Actually, bicycle inner tubes were invented more than 100 years ago. I know this because Pipestone Kid told me he was there.
            ================================================== ====
            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I did buy some plans, called Cad Digger, and I found some on the net, as well, and down loaded them as well, and then I also collected some manuals and parts books for popular three point and sub framed attachment hoes, the Cad digger was crude and very light IMO,

so I figured out what I thought I would want and what would do the job, and the steel I had available to me at the time, and so I started out by making a 1/4 ply wood mock up to get the joints and the pivot points and the movement of the cylinders correct, and when I was satisfied that it would work I started to build it,

a few pictures I took when building it, and checking things out,

a few of the changes I ended up making,
              1. I added a additional pivot point on the bucket, to be able to get some different reach,
              2. added some limit relief valves on two circuits, (not the tractor but with some movements with on cylinder one could at times over load the other cylinders and I ended up bending two of them,
              3 added some gussets on the sub frame to the main frame, as I was over stressing it, at that point,

like I said if I would have it mounted on a 50 hp tractor, I most likely would not have needed the relief valves on the two circuits, and or if I was building again with the current tractor I would build it bigger and heaver,

I should build some type of adapter leaver so I could run the loader from the rear of the tractor to be able to raise and lower the bucket for more stability,

the basic cost was in the hydraulics, and if one builds a small unit or a larger unit, your costs in hydraulics will be simular, so if you build some thing for a lawn type tractor the Hydraulics will nearly cost one the same as if you build a larger unit such as mine,

mine will reach about 8 foot deep, dig 6 foot easely I now like I said wish I made it some bigger, with a easy digging depth of about 8 foot, I could possibly make an extend able boom, and or arm.

I have consider adding a auburn trencher (which I have the trencher end, but not the part to make the tractor a creeper), to the other end of the sub frame and use some hydraulic motors to power wheels and add it own power plant, ending up with some thing more like the combination trencher backhoes that are out, similar to the Vermeer or Ditchwitch units,
              Attached Files
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

simply amazing work. i'm glad you showed the progress pictures as i would never believe you made it once painted green.

how many pipe wrenches are hanging on the wall

nice k-750

if i ever get back to colorado, i need to pay you a visit and play in the shop

thanks for the photos.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X