X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect pex b to wirsbo

What is the best way to connect Watts (pexb) to Wirsbo? I am installing a wood boiler and the house is plumbed with wirsbo.
    The insulated pipes to the boiler are Watts. I think I should use the cinch clamps to couple the lines together, just checking to be sure.

I have both the M12 tool and the Watts cinch tool.
    Or should I just stay with watts all the way through the boiler system? Including the water heater?

Thanks

Re: connect pex b to wirsbo

wirsbo uses an expansion tool and barb fitting with a pex ring that also expands. so the cinch clamps aren't compatible with it.

you already have an expansion tool for the wirsbo and crimper's for the watts. a transition fitting like a shark bite that doesn't use any special tools would work. since you have both sets of tools, then just install a male adapter on 1 and a female on the other of the proper style, screw them together and you're set.

rick.

here is the link to uponor as they now own what's left of wisbo http://www.wirsbo.com/
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just crimp/cinch the transition. All PEX grades can be crimped or cinched. Copper crimp is a better connection than the SS cinch clamp imo.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

If it has SDR9 printed on the tubing it can be crimped. Wirsbo/Uponor is SDR9. Will Rogers is right on about crimping over cinching.
        26+6=1

Comment

I guess I should have bought the crimper, My brother in law has a crimper, but only has a 3/4 die. I suppose I can cinch it to get going then get the 1" die and redo it later. I believe the cinch clamps remove easier. So I can just carefully cut them off.

Comment

A lot of people use the SS Cinch. If you do, use the Oetiker clamps. What is more important is to buy good fittings. I use Sioux Chef (made in the USA) fittings. Viega is another great option. Stay away from the import crap from Home Depot/Lowes. You will be fine with the cinch rings, just get good fittings.
            Last edited by Will Rogers Plumbing; 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

Comment

I guess I live in the sticks, The only plumbing dealer in town only sells Wirsbo, nothing else at all in pex. Home depot carries Sharkbite and Watts connectors. are they cheap imports?

I was wanting to switch to Pex b in the mechanical room and use the straight sticks to keep it a little neater. I need 5 ball valves in the system also. Wirsbo are kind of rough. $19.99 for 3/4 I can buy sharkbite crimp rings ones for $10.99. Should I?
              Thanks for the advice

Comment

I will put it this way, we carry sharkbites for emergency use. In the morning we return to make a proper repair that I know will last. And yea we do the same for wirsbo to other crimp pexes use the crimp fitting and crimp the wrisbo. It does void the wirsbo warranty mis matching systems but there would be no warranty anyway with 2 different systems in the first place. And you should consider using Viega pex I truly believe the stainless crimps are the best there is and you can order it online if it is not local to you.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7afea05c1721bc9914e87a83f1e3dac3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	16659Click image for larger version

Name:	ba1d89fb28bbe04f14617510a14a2418.jpg
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	16660Click image for larger version

Name:	1f7352f0c1afb1480fceeb8c5a71e039.jpg
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	16661

I don't use the SS cinch rings as I have had issues and had to go repair issues from others that used the SS cinch rings. Copper crimps work. I've never had a leak with one, EVER. I've seen PB crimped with the same type of ring working just fine after 20 years of service. PB is still pretty common here in Oklahoma as they used good USA copper fittings when the PB was installed.

In the pictures above the SS cinch ring snapped on the 1/2" side of the 3/4" to 1/2" reducing coupling. Snapped. The house was less than 5 years old.
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

Comment

I have seen a lot of different styles of rings are you speaking of the Viega rings Will?
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Pex is Pex Wirsbo is just Pex. It's all usable between wirsbo brand versus viega or Watts. You can mix and match all you want. Shark bites will work permanently but I would recommend the cheapest option always. Go get a 10 dollar crimper for use with a Vice grip and just use viega crimp rings or watts or whatever the guy at the depot shoves at you and a coupling and crimp it. Or rent a real crimper at the depot. It all works. Wirsbo fittings will not work with other pex, however, they use an expensive expander. I use a 2k dollar expander on 2" pipe all the time. Wirsbo is also cool because if you kink it, you can heat it and it will return to it's original shape. Fun stuff. These guys are right just crimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                        I have seen a lot of different styles of rings are you speaking of the Viega rings Will?
                        I call them rings sometimes, but I was referring to the Stainless Steel "Cinch" clamps. Those are the ones I have had issues with, and had to go out and make repairs to leaking fittings.
                        Will Rogers Plumbing
                        Moore, Oklahoma
                        (
                        405) 323-2852

Comment

I just plumbed a house a twenty minute drive twenty minute boat ride then a ten minute quad ride away. pretty out of the way tthe homeowner did it all in crimp pex and stuff he got from pexsupply or someother web site. He had done the whole filtration system in those glorified hose clamp looking ss crimp just a hose clamp without a clamp just little hles that the tiny barbed bump locks into. the cheapest **** iv ever seen, plus type m copper was used so i had no choice but repipe his work he seemed a lttle enoyed but i didnt want call backs on my work yet alone the homeowners. cheapest dam connection i ever saw repiped it in wirsbo aolong with the rest of the new rough in.

Comment

No problem using a crimp fitting on Wirsbo. You don't have to expand it, crimp away!

Comment

Working...
                            X