Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wood Pro Series Water Heater - Pilot Light won't stay on

Hello,

I have a John Wood natural gas water heater that is 4 years old. It has what I believe is called Flame Guard. Anyways, the pilot went out the other day and I am having trouble keeping it lit - its hit and miss. I assumed it would maybe be the thermocouple but I see that on this model everything is sealed in and I can't just replace the thermocouple myself. On doing some reading on the internet it sounds like my 'flame arrestor' might just need a good cleaning. I understand that this is on the bottom of the unit. Pretty tough to get to - how would I get a vacuum under there (especially with a water pan in place)? How is this cleaning done? Is there anything else I should be checking? Any advice greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Re: John Wood Pro Series Water Heater - Pilot Light won't stay on

Yeah, the drain pan should have been bigger to get to the screen. You can contact the manufacturer and likely they will send you a long skinny adapter for a vacumm cleaner that will allow you to reach the screen on the bottom. Make sure the knob is set to "pilot" and clean the screen below and the other screen @ the bottom of the tank.

Comment

What kind of gas water heater? Indirect, direct, power vent? What kind of gas valve? Is it in fact a thermocouple or hot surface igniter? It could be several things.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what 'kind' of gas heater it is and the gas valve doesn't seem to have a brand name on it. I have included some pictures here that will maybe help. I am having trouble getting the pilot light to stay on. I try and try but it usually just goes out when I let up the button. On the odd occasion it will stay on then i can fire up the heater to heat up the water. But the pilot goes out again once the flames go off.

Comment

Have you been pushing any buttons outside of the gas valve and igniter?
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
            Have you been pushing any buttons outside of the gas valve and igniter?
            What other buttons are there on thisheater Gett. ???????????

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              What other buttons are there on thisheater Gett. ???????????
              If you look at the picture where he is showing us the gas valve, you will see 2 wires. That is a manual reset switch. If it gets too hot it will shut the gas off.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

I haven't knowingly pressed any other buttons (other than gas valve or igniter). I was wondering about the existance of some sort of reset button on those two wires mentioned (tco?) as I had read something bout it but there doesn't appear to be a button of any kind there. What did happen last night though is - I got the pilot to stay on (after very much patience) and then fired up the flames. Shortly thereafter I touched one of those wires (I believe the one coming from the 'switch' on the right) and the whole thing immediately shut down. I then wondered if that wire was loose or something. Anyways, I restarted ok. Now just waiting for things to go out again.

Comment

if it's getting too hot and tripping ECO you will need to clean the screen. if you get it to burn look at the flame when water is heating. if it is relatively blue, then you need to look at a new pilot assembly, if it's mostly yellow and kinda "dances" around then goes out, then you need to clean the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by jay333 View Post
                    I haven't knowingly pressed any other buttons (other than gas valve or igniter). I was wondering about the existance of some sort of reset button on those two wires mentioned (tco?) as I had read something bout it but there doesn't appear to be a button of any kind there. What did happen last night though is - I got the pilot to stay on (after very much patience) and then fired up the flames. Shortly thereafter I touched one of those wires (I believe the one coming from the 'switch' on the right) and the whole thing immediately shut down. I then wondered if that wire was loose or something. Anyways, I restarted ok. Now just waiting for things to go out again.

I was almost positive there was a reset button....sometimes they don't really push in like a spring is behind it but it will still reset it when cool. Anyways, they looked like the got too hot but some discoloration may be expected. If they do discolor it usually turns yellowish.

If you had a meter you can sit there and wait until it kicked out, disconnect the wires and check for continuity. You should not jump out the safety for obvious reasons outside of testing it.

It is still a good idea to vacuum the bottom as discussed earlier. It it is the temperature safety, I would check the vent for a blockage and possible over firing. Those should be done by a licensed contractor. Also, before calling out a professional, find out what temp the safety is supposed to cut out at and check the temp.

If you need to replace the thermocouple you should get the whole pilot assembly and new gasket.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

This john woods water heater is made by the same company that brings you the world famous

whirlpool flame guard water heaters,
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                        This john woods water heater is made by the same company that brings you the world famous

whirlpool flame guard water heaters,
                        American I believe if you are correct.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

John Wood made by GSW (canadian brand)

Comment

Maybe it's lighting in the picture but... In my years of working with sealed combustion water heaters I have never seen the steel cover and wiring connectors discolored from heat. It sounds like it needs a good cleaning of the air screens, possibly a thermocouple, and definitely a gas pressure check and burner inspection.
                            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by plumber26 View Post
                              john wood made by gsw (canadian brand)
                              Yes and GSW owned American Water Heater so they used the same flame guard !
                              But both were brought out by A.O. Smith like 8 0r 10 years ago
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X