Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Toilet under extended countertop, clearance issue.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet under extended countertop, clearance issue.

I am replacing a 23-year-old toilet. The bathroom vanity countertop is 29.5" high (bottom of the countertop to floor) and is extended to over the top of the tank. The height of the existing toilet is 25" leaving a 4.5" clearance.

I am looking at the 1.28 gal high efficiency toilets. It seems that most of them are very tall -- taller than 29.5" for sure. The only one recommended by Consumer Reports that might fit is KOHLER Wellworth K-3575 whose height is 28.25".

Questions are:

1) Will I have trouble installing the toilet? I imagine the tank needs to be lifted above its normal sitting position during the installation process. Is the 1.25" clearance enough?

2) Will I have trouble servicing the toilet? With the 1.25" clearance, will I be able to remove the lid, and to replace the flapper?

Thanks much.

Re: Toilet under extended countertop, clearance issue.

I.nstalled a toilet in a similar situation.
    A little awkward but no problem. The lid removed allowed adequate clearance.

If necessary, can you unscrew the tank bolt nuts and remove the tank if necessary to replace the flapper?
    Perhaps a woman or child with thin arms could do the flapper change without tank removal. You could check with a mirror.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Sounds like a money maker for the plumber

Comment

We just had this problem a few weeks ago. I believe our solution was a 1 piece toilet of the Gerber variety. I cant remember the exact model.

Edit: it's this one -

Maxwell Round Front 1 pc 1.6gpf
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

many years ago i had a special order colored kohler wellworth with the tall tank. it didn't fit under the "banjo counter top"

very simple, i took my wet diamond grinder and cut the tank down. drilling the square handle hole was the difficult part.

that was well over 15 years ago and in that time i've been back to service the ballcock and flapper. not fun, but doable. of course 3 bolts and the tank will separate from the bowl.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

That would be considered against code here. (IPC) Inspector would say it is unserviceable with only 1.25" of clearance at finished height. My opinion is that you're creating a lot of problems for the future, if you get it installed.

Put the tank to bowl bolts in ahead of time, odds are you won't have enough clearance to get it in. Put the tank in without the bolts in, odds are you can't get your arm in there to place the bolts.

If it has to be replaced, I'd say look elsewhere. If it does not (not selling, don't need extra height) then rebuild the old one and leave it in my opinion.

All 1.28 GPF are garbage to me. Put in all types so there is no need for any links from Consumer Reports or MAPP test charts. They aren't "green" either.

Comment

Personally I would cut the counter top off so it no longer interferes. That counter top style that extends above the toilet went out of vogue in the 70s.

Comment

Thank you. The countertop is cultured marble original to the house circa 1988. I read that cutting it is messy and best leave to pros. What do you think? Can I take a circular saw and cut it in place? Or do I need to remove it and take it to a pro shop to get it done?

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                Personally I would cut the counter top off so it no longer interferes. That counter top style that extends above the toilet went out of vogue in the 70s.

Comment

We like the countertop extended over the toilet!

Originally posted by newowner123 View Post
                  Thank you. The countertop is cultured marble original to the house circa 1988. I read that cutting it is messy and best leave to pros. What do you think? Can I take a circular saw and cut it in place? Or do I need to remove it and take it to a pro shop to get it done?
                  The countertop behind the toilet allows room for a radio and telephone in otherwise wasted space!
                  The new 1.28 GPF toilets have just TWO tank bolts which do not turn much when tightening the nuts from below. That and a flexible supply tube from the stop makes it easy to remove the tank if necessary.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: We like the countertop extended over the toilet!

I'd go with a one piece 1 gpf pressure assist toilet. Save more water, real good flush, AND keep your countertop. Kohler San Raphael

Comment

Re: We like the countertop extended over the toilet!

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                      The countertop behind the toilet allows room for a radio and telephone in otherwise wasted space!
                      The new 1.28 GPF toilets have just TWO tank bolts which do not turn much when tightening the nuts from below. That and a flexible supply tube from the stop makes it easy to remove the tank if necessary.
                      Definitely this. Go with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X