X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use muriatic acid on big rock in the sewer line

Several days ago, I posted a thread here because I had a big rock in the sewer line. Plumer Rick told me I could contact "waytay" on the forum to give a try. He came to my house today and checked with his SeeSnake. He told me that the chance to use jetter and camera to get the rock out is very little.

He told me the rock is probably stuck at the fitting. I am wondering if I could try using muriatic acid to dissolve the rock or at least loose it, then using jetter or strong cable to push it to the main pipe. Does anyone have experience using muriatic acid, or any other acid like sulfuric acid? which one is better on rock?

Is there any side effect to use acid on pipe, including the county's pipe? I searched online and many people said muriatic acid won't dissolve PVC pipe. Can you help to confirm? What about county's pipe?

BTW, "waytay" is the nicest plumber I have ever met. He tried with his SeeSnake and locator without charging me any penny. I would recommend him to anyone would like find an excellant plumber.

Re: Use muriatic acid on big rock in the sewer line

What did WAYTAY recommend?????????????????????????????????????

He is the Pro on the ground, trust him. After allhe has Uncle Rick backing him up too................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's worth a try but different types of rocks are affected differently by acid so I would not bank on it. You would need a lot of acid to dissolve enough of the rock to get it to move.

If that rock is the same that we find in many areas of SD they are quite hard so the effect of acid on it is likely to be low. If you have other rocks in your backyard of the same type you can try acid on a sample to see how it works out. We have so much rock in SD when I remodeled my backyard and dug up the soil I found that over 70% of the soil is composed of river rock. I put aside the good ones and built a veneer for my firepit out of them. Needless to say you cannot dig around here with a hand tool - the hardened clay soil + rocks makes it like digging concrete - a jackhammer is required. Given the rocks around the people who built your house should have been more careful.

Comment

I know of a few Well Drillers that have been killed by using Muriatic Acid. The stuff is dangerous. I noticed you asked if anyone has had any experience with it. I have, and since you haven't; I recommend you don't try to use it. It can kill very quickly.

I like this advice better:
        What did WAYTAY recommend?????????????????????????????????????

He is the Pro on the ground, trust him. After allhe has Uncle Rick backing him up too................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

were you able to snap a photo of the rock in the pipe?

how is anything other than liquid draining?

i'll call wayne for an update.

rick.

spoke to wayne.

the rock is about 9' past the closet bend and lodged in a fitting. unless it can be pushed into the larger 4'' pipe, it's not coming out without a dig. not too much room to sneak anything past it.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wonder if he could jet an open line/hose to it, put suction on the hose, and pull it out? Or some sort of camera & cable grab?

9' is not that far. But it would require some real patience and drain surgery. Then you might still fail.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. The problem is the object is so large it can not be brought vertical thru a heel 90 back to the closet flange. I dont think it can be pushed because itis so large. I would gladly try for the homeowner however i dont think the chance of getting the rock out is very high. I am just trying to save him money. I should have snapped a pic for you guys.

Wayne

Comment

I am not on here much I just realized my avitar is not...customer friendly LOL

Comment

put a turbo nozzle down the line and cut it out.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks all your replies. Really appreciate it.

The main reason I don't want the builder do it is that they want to cut my post-tension foundation. I heard a lot on how bad if post-tension foundation/cable is cut. Anyone could comment on this?

It seems there is no fan of muriatic acid. I just want to try any way if possible.

Hi gear junkie,

Could you explain a little bit more on "put a turbo nozzle down the line and cut it out."? what is a turbo nozzle? jetter?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by eelshcn View Post
                      Thanks all your replies. Really appreciate it.

The main reason I don't want the builder do it is that they want to cut my post-tension foundation. I heard a lot on how bad if post-tension foundation/cable is cut. Anyone could comment on this?

It seems there is no fan of muriatic acid. I just want to try any way if possible.

Hi gear junkie,

Could you explain a little bit more on "put a turbo nozzle down the line and cut it out."? what is a turbo nozzle? jetter?

Thanks,
                      It is fairly simple to locate the steel before opening the slab. It's really not a big deal.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have never used one of these, but depeding on the hardness of the rock, could one of these at least reduce it in size to get it to move,

Ridgid 67142 Cutter, 7/8 carbide tip 1
                        or (cant find a picture of the ridgid unit, Ridgid 67142 Cutter, 7/8 carbide tip 1
                        Rothenberger 72191 Carbide-tipped Cutter
                        Amazon.com: Rothenberger 72191 Carbide-tipped Cutter, 5/8": Home Improvement
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by waytay View Post
                          I am not on here much I just realized my avitar is not...customer friendly LOL
                          Lol its a welcome site

If you were able to pull the rock back to the closet bend could you then bust it up with a hammer drill to get it out

Comment

It is....to me...!

Comment

I would at least hammer on the rock with a tape snake for an hour or so. If that doesnt work the cut the slab.

Comment

Working...
                              X