Possible slab leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible slab leak?

If you can connect the DW to another hot water source, you can ascertain if the hot spot is caused by waste or water without removing any hardwood. Or, turn on the hot tap at the sink and see if the floor warms up. If so, then try filling the sink from a remote hot source. If it gets hot, the lek is in the waste line, if not , it's the hot water line.

Comment

What was the original problem at the house ? kit stopped up or hot floor

Comment

the warm floor. It never stopped up.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

" Nothing ,is often the right thing to do,and always a clever thing to say. "
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ben get a test ball that fits the size of pipe, then 25 or 50' of air hose, remove the stem from the test ball,
            remove the ring and card from test ball, screw female air fitting onto test ball, get some really good
            tape and starting on the test ball & wrap all the way chain to air hose,
            you can then push or run water to float down drain pipe,
            inflate with a tire pump,
            fill drain pipe with water and see if leaks down !
            Then you will know for sure if you have a cracked or broken pipe
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Taping the chain to the air hose is to make sure no matter how hard you pull on hose to remove that the test ball will not come loose !
              And possible block sewer
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                Taping the chain to the air hose is to make sure no matter how hard you pull on hose to remove that the test ball will not come loose !
                And possible block sewer
                Just like the sparky does when he tapes wires to a fish tape.

Comment

What was the original problem at the house ?
                  Professional LED Faucet
                  discount faucet Kitchen Faucets Waterfall Faucets

Comment

We do these a lot. For sewer test we run a test ball down the clean out on the outside of the home. Then fill cleanouts to slab surface and watch for 10 minutes. If no movement, then no leak below slab in the sewer. Watch out for sunken rooms in the house. If you have a toilet in a sunken area, then the wax ring will leak. For water tests, we do it two ways to make sure. Have customer not use any water and watch the meter for 10 minutes. If it is moving then you may have a leak. Valve off the water heater (if it holds) and test to isolate it to hot or cold leak. If you still have movement, turn off all toilets (if valves will hold), test again. We also put a water pressure test gauge on the house where there is no vacuum breaker present (like washing machine), then pressure up gauge. Then we valve off the meter and watch gauge. For isolation of sewer leaks, you need a camera and long hoses to attach to testballs. We are doing one today. We have isolated it to the Master bathroom, but to pinpoint, we will run a test ball down the vent and watch with a camera. There are 3- 3x2's under slab. One is for the shower, one for the tub, and one for the sinks. By putting the test ball in before each one and then putting a testball down through cleanout outside, then we can fill it a few times to isolate which line is leaking.
                    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                      We do these a lot. For sewer test we run a test ball down the clean out on the outside of the home. Then fill cleanouts to slab surface and watch for 10 minutes. If no movement, then no leak below slab in the sewer. Watch out for sunken rooms in the house. If you have a toilet in a sunken area, then the wax ring will leak. For water tests, we do it two ways to make sure. Have customer not use any water and watch the meter for 10 minutes. If it is moving then you may have a leak. Valve off the water heater (if it holds) and test to isolate it to hot or cold leak. If you still have movement, turn off all toilets (if valves will hold), test again. We also put a water pressure test gauge on the house where there is no vacuum breaker present (like washing machine), then pressure up gauge. Then we valve off the meter and watch gauge. For isolation of sewer leaks, you need a camera and long hoses to attach to testballs. We are doing one today. We have isolated it to the Master bathroom, but to pinpoint, we will run a test ball down the vent and watch with a camera. There are 3- 3x2's under slab. One is for the shower, one for the tub, and one for the sinks. By putting the test ball in before each one and then putting a testball down through cleanout outside, then we can fill it a few times to isolate which line is leaking.
                      Thanks Jay, This should be post of the week !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is a 100% guarantee sewer leak, i got this happen to me, got out my thermal camera i5 and ridgid sonde trace right on top of the heat comming up the slab. If u drill a hole u wont see water it is mostly just warm soil, go ahead and jack hammer it, money back guarantee, my leak was hair line leak it was 3ft wide, only when they used the hot water from sink, here is another way u can tell this line only leak when only hot water run, run the sink for 10min of supper hot h2o, it might not show because the dishwasher heat the h20 and when it come out of dishwasher it little hotter then ur tab.
                        U got my permission to jack hammer.

Comment

Thanks Dkd, been waiting for your permission before I went any further. I'll let the homeowners know we can proceed.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

His grammar are terrible
                            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Dkd View Post
                              This is a 100% guarantee sewer leak, i got this happen to me, got out my thermal camera i5 and ridgid sonde trace right on top of the heat comming up the slab. If u drill a hole u wont see water it is mostly just warm soil, go ahead and jack hammer it, money back guarantee, my leak was hair line leak it was 3ft wide, only when they used the hot water from sink, here is another way u can tell this line only leak when only hot water run, run the sink for 10min of supper hot h2o, it might not show because the dishwasher heat the h20 and when it come out of dishwasher it little hotter then ur tab.
                              U got my permission to jack hammer.
                              Question about i5 thremal camera. Are you able to see color changes below slab? I have been trying to demo the new milwaukee thermo, but I think I'm on a long list. If so, are you able to determine an outline of a hot water line?
                              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I'm with Rick and Tool on this one... IF it is leaking, is that actually hurting anything?
                                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X