X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible slab leak?

Alright slab leaks aren't my forte. Concrete slab home. when the dishwasher is draining and for about 15 minutes after it's done, the floor infront of the sink feel noticeably warmer then the surrounding area. No signs at all of any broken pipes...no smell, water, camera inspection looked fine. It's just the floor is warm. Possible broke pipe?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Possible slab leak?

Very possible. Is the meter spinning when there is no call for water? Do you know where the manifold is? The one that is noticeably hot is your leak. Then you have to weigh the options of rerouting or repairing. If you have to cut in ball valves.
    Last edited by Gettinit; 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Is this a new condition ?
      The kitchen drain could ride high just under the slab

Comment

I believe it's a broken drain line as it only happens when the dishwasher drains. Not sure on the time frame of when it started as it's a rental and the tenants are new.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Could be no leak with the hot line under the slab taking x amount of time to release the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I believe it's a broken drain line as it only happens when the dishwasher drains. Not sure on the time frame of when it started as it's a rental and the tenants are new.
            If it is a leak on a drain in the house, sorry. They are next to impossible to find if the camera doesn't see a problem. Smoke will not help you either, unless it is broken at the top of the slab. I hear that a black and white camera is better for finding cracks if you have yet to try.

I would locate the line and give them a price on a new drain.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

This is one time I wish I had a thermal camera. Then I could see the heat difference. If it was a drain leak...wouldn't it smell after awhile?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hook the dishwasher up to cold supply then re test, if vinyl floor pull back, them paint some zypex on the spot if it turns gray it is attracted to water (probably lots of other things to use just what I have) then you know if it's drain or water. sounds like a re route though. Let us know what it is Ben.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It's wood laminate with no signs of water damage at all. I jetted and camered the line and it looks fine. I'm very hesitant to recommend a dig or anything as I can't see any damage. I would hat to dig it up only to discover the line is fine.

forgot to mention...repipe done 8 years ago. All water lines in ceiling.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Did you do a locate to check the path of the drain line? And Depth? Hook a ridgid transmitter to the pipes and do a locate if needed if plastic shove a fish tape in and charge that. Then bust out the big bill for all your detective work lol.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Kitchen on exterior wall? You could dig out under for an inspection. It's a gamble, but less than 3' you should know if water is there or not.

Comment

concrete on other side.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          concrete on other side.
                          Drill a hole in the slab under the dishwasher for a moisture inspection?
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-18-2012, 08:28 PM.

Comment

great idea, never thought of this. I'll contact the homeowners see what they think.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the old saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind.

the water is in the ceiling so that's not it.

the camera inspection looked good.

trace the line if need be and get a depth reading. might just be convection heat.

new tennant. what did the last people say?

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X