Ridgid 1500 1 1/4 cable stuck hang up under street

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 1500 1 1/4 cable stuck hang up under street

Had a 1 1/4 cable hang up on an obstruction under the street. Any one have any suggestions? We have cut the pipe at the sidewalk and have 2 cables in with obstuction roughly 8' out. We are going to flush line and video inspect. Should we try chipping at the blockage with a smaller auger? We have a small jetter but the blockage did not clear when the snake hung up so I am afraid of making a huge mess in our trench. I also am weary of yanking on it with the mini trac hoe.
    -Ski

Re: Ridgid 1500 1 1/4 cable stuck hang up under street

i'm a little confused. 2 cables is typically 30' , yet you're only 8' out.

if the line will drain, then i would look with the camera first. a jetter is less apt to get all tangled up in the cable. but a small jetter might nit have cutting power if it's a big root ball.

i assume you tried both forward and reverse rotations. what cutter was installed and what size pipe are you in? 4'' or 6''

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Easy, peasy! Simply get a permit from your street department, rent some shoring, cut the asphalt with a hot saw and dig the sewer up with your mini ex, cut the pipe and remove your cable, repair pipe, backfill with structural fill and compact, hire a paving company to patch back the street. Nothing to it.

Just kidding, of course. Good luck, hope you get it out.

Comment

In my mind, if the cable got stuck, the line stands a good chance of being broken, so this is probably where I'd go with it.
        Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
        Easy, peasy! Simply get a permit from your street department, rent some shoring, cut the asphalt with a hot saw and dig the sewer up with your mini ex, cut the pipe and remove your cable, repair pipe, backfill with structural fill and compact, hire a paving company to patch back the street. Nothing to it.

Just kidding, of course. Good luck, hope you get it out.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I would be worried you might of knotted up the cable in the city sewer. If you can televise the line and be sure what happened. Then take your next plan of action.

I know a guy that rodded a main sewer from the stack clean out to the city sewer, and his rod got hung up real bad. Turned out the city left the rope in the city sewer to run the bucket machines, and the rod got tangled up in the rope.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Have one cable sticking out of the pipe, the other section is down the line. Have a funnel auger bit on a 4 inch cast iron line. The blockage did not clear so I am pretty confident we did not get into the city main. We are going to flush the line in hopes of being able to get a clear picture with the see-snake.

Comment

i very rarely use a funnel auger. typically just to grab roots that have already been cut, but not retrieved. the funnel auger is not a cutter, it's more of a grabber and eventually a ripper. bite into something too big and you have a tug of war trying to cut or rip it loose. baby wipes and soft stoppages are an exception, but 90% of my main lines are roots.

my cutter of choice is the spiral root saw. in forward it's a mean cutter and in reverse it's a modified hook/ auger. does a great job on roots.

if you can't get anywhere with the camera, or small jetter, i would feel safe to go in with a 2'' cutter on another cable.

rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM. Reason: bite into
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i very rarely use a funnel auger. typically just to grab roots that have already been cut, but not retrieved. the funnel auger is not a cutter, it's more of a grabber and eventually a ripper. bite into something too big and you have a tug of war trying to cut or rip it loose. baby wipes and soft stoppages are an exception, but 90% of my main lines are roots.

my cutter of choice is the spiral root saw. in forward it's a mean cutter and in reverse it's a modified hook/ auger. does a great job on roots.

if you can't get anywhere with the camera, or small jetter, i would feel safe to go in with a 2'' cutter on another cable.

rick.

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Funnel augers are for retrieving NOT clearing blockages as they can easily get hung up/screw themselves into the smallest crack or hole and are a PITA to get out.

I would video and possibly send another rod down with a small bit to break lose.

Good luck

Comment

Yeah... Leave the funnel auger on the truck
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Well it took me and three of my guys yanking with all of our might and the cable broke loose along with a 3/4" diameter root. We re-augered the line with 7/8 cable and the k60. After a few more passes we were able to clear the line successfully. Thanks for all of the advice, I believe a few good tips and a lot of patience can solve most problems.
                    -Ski

Comment

Working...
                    X