X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got one I am not sure about

Alright guys I got one I couldn't figure out. So I got a customer with a large septic system that has multiple pumps. The system is connected to a government housing and there is no way to control the wipes in the system so that is out of the question. The wipes are plugging the pumps and they wanted to know if there is a way to treat the system to break down the wipes. I couldn't really think of anything. You guys know of any solutions?

Re: I got one I am not sure about

What type of voodoo system do they have installed. Some low pressure, spray irrigation, chlorinator b.s.?

Grinder pumps should handle wipes, but would need to know more about the system.

Comment

Is the first pump 110v or 220v? I would suggest to them to have 220v ran to first pit then install a more powerful pump. Liberty's "Omnivore" will handle alot of stuff and turn most items into a slushy. Let us know how it pans out.

Comment

another solution would be to make the occupants pay additonal rent or dues until they stop flushing wipes into the system. somethng like $100 per month to pay for you to be there so frequently. Sounds like a poor set-up there though.

Comment

I've worked on septic with inlet screens before. You just twist and lift, then upend them into the garbage. Seems like a terrible idea, but it's what I can think of.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

grinder pump should cut the wipes up. but i've seen literally a milk crate bolted to the inlet of the pit to catch debris and then pluck them out.

how about you and i develop wipe-x

don't tell parke

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

How did our Mothers survive without WIPES. Answer Bendix Wash Machine and clothesline. Nothing like the smell of fresh clothes from the cloths line. We never new our parents were so Green! Bless All You Moms N Dads
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Grinder pumps *should* but they don't. Had one customer, let's call him Marshawn Lynch, that had a grinder pump in his cellar. I guess when you have money to burn these wipes are what you use to wipe the heinie...or what one uses to wipe the blood off your Porsche after one runs over a pedestrian...but I digress...

We had to 'prefiler' the pump in the pit. Large sections of plastic screening similar to chicken wire is what we used. Trial and error will get you where you need to be. Too small and nothing but liquid flows, too large and it doesnt work.

The wipes are too fibrous and dont break down. They wind and wind around the impeller and the pump poops.

P.S. Marshawn was a good guy, just an undereducated kid with even less common sense making a pantload of money. Oh and all his girlfriends werent too hard on the eyes either. Gave me an open invitation to hang out anytime. He's another team's problem, err player, now...
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Hi,
                  You have to talk to expert in this case. Do not take any step of risk.
                  It need expert advice only near you.
                  Thanks
                  Water Line Repair Services

Comment

say what

Comment

I definitely would want to know more about the system before making a solid recommendation but I do have some suggestions. The Omnivore grinder pump idea would be OK if this was a lift station to centralized sewer, but in a septic system installing grinder pumps to shred solids so that they were "pumpable" could be disastrous. Reason: the septic tank's sole purpose is to break down what wastes can be broken down biologically, and store the rest for future removal by pumping. If you ground the solids, in this case, wipes, up and pumped them to the absorption area, they would simply collect there until the whole system was clogged and the repair cost would be astronomical on a system as large as I suspect this one is. The ONLY thing the pumps should remove in a septic system is effluent, as clear of effluent as possible. Remember, everything that the pumps send to the drainfield must be absorbed into the soil. How likely is it that a high volume of shredded wipes will break down enough to dissipate into the soil?

It sounds to me like they need to get on a monthly or tri-monthly pumping schedule to begin with. Then maybe they should look at installing screened pump vaults inside the tanks with turbine-style pumps, if they are currently using centrifugal pumps. Set it up with a high level alarm and a low level redundant off with alarm to protect the pumps and notify of any issues, and clean the filter weekly if need be. The filters just lift out and can be cleaned with a garden hose over a garbage can if need be, so maintenance is simple. However, like I said without knowing more about the system even this is a shot in the dark. If this is a treatment package system and these pumps are recirculating to treatment tanks, etc., you may need to get the system designer or engineer involved.

BTW, us pumpers HATE pumping septic tanks that are full of wipes. Assisted living homes are the worst. But, if that's the best alternative in this case, better safe than sorry.

Comment

Absolutely more info required.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know this old school system won't help with a septic system since you do not want wipes getting to the field. But if they where on a city sewer this works. I cam across a lift station where the inlet to the pit was teed to the discharge of the pump and had a check valve in-line to prevent backflow. Below the tee in the pipe is a stainless steel screen that kept solid debris from entering the pit but the water flowed easily through. When the pump ran all the debris on the screen was pumped out to the city sewer.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                          X