X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 1.5" for lav sink..tying into new 2" for garage sink

I'm rethinking my garage utility sink install. I posted a question a few weeks ago concerning that. My initial thought was to tie into the existing lav sink drain by removing drywall in the garage and installing a San-T in the exist drain kind of like below:
    Attached Files

Re: Removing 1.5" for lav sink..tying into new 2" for garage sink

Now my plan is to go into basement and cut out the majority of the existing 1.5" for the lav sink. Then run all 2" to the laundry sink in the garage and then pick up the lav sink with a 2 x 2 x 1.5 wye.

Note: the utility sink in the garage will use an AVV for venting which is permissible where I live.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hammerlane; 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I think that looks good. Just make sure it has 1/4" of slope. Some Codes require you to roll the "wye" up off of center. The lav. coming in higher is a good idea, because it will help keep the line cleaner. Great pictures. Wish I had a Basement. LUCKY.
      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
        Some Codes require you to roll the "wye" up off of center..
        Yeah both the 2" wye and the 2 x 1.5 wyes will be rolled up a little....the mock up may not show that.

Comment

looks good. your first idea about the stacking tee/ wet venting was not legal.

the first idea would have been fine to replace the 1.5 with 2'', then install a wye on the riser to pick up the lav off the 2x 1.5 wye branch. continue up on the laundry and reconnect the venting 6'' or greater above the lav overflow. this way the venting is legal and you're not using an aav. nh master would be proud of you.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            looks good. your first idea about the stacking tee/ wet venting was not legal.
            When referring to the first idea...do you mean the diagram in post #1?

this way the venting is legal and you're not using an aav. nh master would be proud of you.
            In my locale, an AAV is acceptable for this garage sink.

nh master would be proud of you.
            Have no ide what nh master is???????????

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
              When referring to the first idea...do you mean the diagram in post #1?

yes, post i is illegal due to the wet venting. all you need to do is install the san tee off a wye branch and continue up with the vent.

In my locale, an AAV is acceptable for this garage sink.

why use an aav when you already have a good atmospheric vent.

Have no ide what nh master is???????????
              nh master is a forum member who might actually smile if it's properly plumbed and vented.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

UPC would require you to run the horizontal waste in 2", terminating with 2x1-1/2 combo and a clean out. Also, you should test it for leaks. I'm not going to tell you the easy way to do that because I'm curious to see how you would accomplish a test without any help.

Comment

all you need to do is install the san tee off a wye branch and continue up with the vent.
                  like this? where fitting "G" is picking up the laundry sink in garage? Only problem with that is that below San-T "A", where it drops into the basement shown in post #2, the drain is all 1.5". And like Plumbus pointed out I want all 2" for the laundry sink
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hammerlane; 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    UPC would require you to run the horizontal waste in 2", terminating with 2x1-1/2 combo and a clean out. Also, you should test it for leaks. I'm not going to tell you the easy way to do that because I'm curious to see how you would accomplish a test without any help.
                    I do have a clean out in the photos in post #2.

Comment

much better. yes you do need 2'' from the common tee of the laundry and sink. your venting is correct now

nh master might be happy

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

much better. yes you do need 2'' from the common tee of the laundry and sink. your venting is correct now

nh master might be happy

rick.
                        I'm not doing it this way as shown above because the laundry sink would still drain into 1'5" once it reaches the existing lav drain.

So the way I'm doing it is I'm cutting out the existing 1.5" for the lav drain in the basement....like shown in post #2 and running new 2" to the garage utility sink location. I will then....in the basement.... tie into the new 2" with the existing 1.5" lav drain.

Comment

The 2" that I configured in post #2, I lifted kind of into position in the basement to show what I want to do. The existing 1.5" lav drain will be cut out from where I put the green "X" all the way back to the stack in the basement. The remaing 1'5" remaining will be joined the the 1.5" 45 labeled as fitting "H". Thats how the exist lav drain will tie back into the new 2" that I will run..
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by hammerlane; 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

There must be a clean out before any decrease in pipe size. Easier to stay 2" than to put two clean outs in.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              There must be a clean out before any decrease in pipe size. Easier to stay 2" than to put two clean outs in.
                              I already have a cleanout roughed in at fitting "K".

I'm not putting another in for that 1.5" "arm" going up to pick up the 1.5" lav sink drain.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X