X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propress tool

can the ridgid propress be used to crimp fittings onto galvanized pipe?

Re: propress tool

If you have right set of jaws for galv. and black pipe.

Comment

look at the new "mega press" jaw set. the larger propress machines will do 1/2''- 2'' steel pipe. the fittings are viega and the jaws and press tool are ridgid.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I don't think they have made anything yet for a press connection to galvanized.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          I don't think they have made anything yet for a press connection to galvanized.
          I believe you are specifically talking about for water. Black iron pipe and galvanized are the same O.D., so the mega press will press onto galvanized. The question I am trying to find out for you, is can that fitting be used for potable water? I believe the answer is NO. The fittings are made of Carbon steel and therefore would not be a suitable material for potable water. I am currently in the process of contacting the manufacturer Viega to get a clarification, because in all of the information I have Potable water is not mentioned. If you have a Galvanized pipe that is being used for hydronic, steam, sprinkler, gas, or compressed air. Then the answer would be YES, it can be used for this.
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
            I believe you are specifically talking about for water. Black iron pipe and galvanized are the same O.D., so the mega press will press onto galvanized. The question I am trying to find out for you, is can that fitting be used for potable water? I believe the answer is NO. The fittings are made of Carbon steel and therefore would not be a suitable material for potable water. I am currently in the process of contacting the manufacturer Viega to get a clarification, because in all of the information I have Potable water is not mentioned. If you have a Galvanized pipe that is being used for hydronic, steam, sprinkler, gas, or compressed air. Then the answer would be YES, it can be used for this.
            I read most, if not all, of their literature on this. Galvanized is only listed as a "reference" with ASTM/ASME or one of the other listings. However, I could find NOTHING in regard to installation & preparation. Meanwhile there are multiple examples & requirements for black iron and the various coatings applied to it that one might encounter for preparation to install.

Leads me to believe that they have not approved anything for galvanized. Thinking galvanized flaking and contact with whatever ring material used could be the issue.

As you say, I would contact Viega. However, nothing anyone says there means anything. They must provide a written document, and they know it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              look at the new "mega press" jaw set. the larger propress machines will do 1/2''- 2'' steel pipe. the fittings are viega and the jaws and press tool are ridgid.

rick.
              Rick
              Do you have a "mega press" jaw set?

Comment

Bob cant wait for the next installment. IMO I think you are on the money with the gal coating. Also the seam would certainly be an issue in my books. Mind you we only have Copper pressing over here at present. Not as advanced as you guys yet but working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  Rick
                  Do you have a "mega press" jaw set?
                  no, not yet. no inventory out here yet.

rivk.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

For anyone's interest.

Spoke to Viega.

Just as PlumbingbyJay stated, it is not approved for a water connection. However it IS approved for a galvanized connection where the system does not carry potable water.

Prep with sandcloth. NOT the prep tool. Light sanding.

Supposed to email me a written letter stating the approvals above. And on customer service: A human being answered on the 2nd ring. Told them what I wanted, they sent me to technical support. Technical support answered within 10 seconds and had the answer to the question as soon as I asked. Did not have to go and search for it. Can't ask for better than that in my opinion.

Comment

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZNAcdKWoTnL_sg

Comment

Rick
                        Check Ferguson. They are stocked up here, so I'll bet they are stocked down there.

Comment

Hey Rick
                          Please clear your private message box. Or send me an email. I've got a question.
                          srdenny@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                          X