no hot water pressure in my shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no hot water pressure in my shower

i hope someone can help me with this and im going to try and explain this best as possible.

about 10 years ago we had a new furnace installed hot water type. i remember the installers telling me with this furnace we wont need our hot water heaters as the furnace will feed the entire house. over the last say 4-5 years i noticed that in my shower which is on the 2nd floor of the house the hot water started to get wacky. i wouldnt have enough hot water for the house for an extended period of time. recently over last two years. i noticed in the winter time when furnace was most active we would loose hot water pressure only on the 2nd floor shower. the 1st floor shower is perfect. if i turn on my hot water heater the pressure would get better but then the water would be warm not hot. but the problem is my hot water heater which starts up fine runs for a few minutes then shuts off does not come back on by itself i have to manually turn it on it will fire up again but then after a few minutes shuts down and doesnt restart.

i have been trying to figure out what is the problem is it the installers of my furnace was wrong and the hot water heater was still feeding the 2nd floor and now has some sort of problem that is causing all my problems.

please understand i know exactly zero about plumbing and not even sure i can explain this properly. this is my mothers house that we share and we cannot afford to bring in a plumber for help. if there is any other info i can provide to even begin to help please let me know

Re: no hot water pressure in my shower

as bad as I want to help, with that info, I'd have to say you'd be better off calling the pro. 10 years is a long time ago to point a finger at the installer. (It's worked for 10 years)! Has this hot water furnace thingy you speak of been regularly maintained? It could be as simple as a mixing valve going bad causing inconsistant hot water or a vital component malfunctioning. And things like furnaces need to be maintained regularly, not just when there is a problem. May not be cheap to maintain but it's definately cheaper than replacing one that had an untimely death due to poor maintenance.

Comment

Can you send a picture?

Comment

If it is only one shower that is giving you the problem, then it is most likely the cartridge in the shower. Turn on the hot water to other faucets on the second floor bathroom to see if they have hot water when the problem is happening. It also sounds like you may still have hot water heaters? If they were valved off so that the Furnace (boiler) would act as primary source of hot water, then opening the valves to the hot water heaters may be allowing luke warm or cold water to enter the system. This is especially true if the water heater will not stay lit. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I have seen in old systems a manual mixing valve. Has anyone moved any valve lately? Has the hot water heat exchanger become plugged/restricted? No, I am not a plumber but this has helped solve my problem. A bad solenoid/valve partially stuck. If so can you move them manually.

Comment

Working...
          X