X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn, my own house.

Just installed a new Veissman atmospheric propane fired gas boiler. anybody familiar with this boiler. especially propane fired. Here is my problem. I have 38' 3/4 " black pipe suppling a 140btu boiler the second stage reg is new. I have 11" of column at the gas valve. and can ony get 5-6" column at the manifold. adjusted the gas valve all the way down and no change. Any ideas? The flame is obviously about 5" high and almost all yellow. No point in combustion analasis. ANY IDEAS?

Re: damn, my own house.

Sure the valve has the right spring in it?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

If its a multi-appliance regulator it may not be big enough. What is the manufacturer and model of the valve? If I were to install a one piece reg on that equipment it would be a Pietro Fiorentini or I would install a two piece reg. Sounds like the spring may be wrong or the wrong size oriface if the reg is indeed big enough. Are you sure the pressure is good to the second stage reg? I would check the first stage reg. as well. What is being supplied to the second stage reg?
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

What do they want at the manifold? I would think that you have enough at the manifold already.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          What do they want at the manifold? I would think that you have enough at the manifold already.
          10" manifold pressure I'm sure being LP.

OP, Do you have a pressure tap to check inlet pressure on the gas valve? If your checking inlet pressure at drip leg, it could be plugged gas valve inlet screen?

What does the 11" drop to if any when it fires? If it drops thats the service & regulator problem indicator

Comment

is the LP orfice in the unit?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The BTU capacity of 40 feet of 3/4" black iron pipe is 287 KBTU, so it is not a capacity issue. Bad or plugged gas valve is my guess.

Comment

The first thing I did was check the pipe size, and everything was ok. I checked the test port on the gas valve and was getting 9" wc static. I changed the second stage gas regulator and i am now getting 11"wc at the test port on the gas valve. My manometer is good. Unfortunately I cannot get more than 5 to 6 " wc at the manifold. I need a min of 9" while the boiler is operating. I have turned the adjustment screw on the gas valve regulator all the way down and btw all the way up and nothing happens. still have 5-6" wc. the gas valve has been changed and this is the second one which is brand new. What am i missing? Thank God for the propane logs my wife had me install years ago ( which I never used). My propane supplier is upset because I installed the boiler i suppose. He will not help. I am a licensed plumbing and hvac contractor and technician and have been for 40 years. Must admit not much experience with propane. In fact i have spent the last 3 weeks getting people heat because of sandy. Hit me with any ideas or is a brother in dutchess county ny available. I am lost!

Comment

What kind of second stage reg? What is it rated for? Was it sent from the manufacturer set up for propane? May have to check the size of the orifice. Plenty of other questions above to be answered. Let us know.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

What are you getting on the inlet port of the gas valve while the unit is running?
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Oh, static doesn't mean squat unless your regs are drifting. This is done on start up. If it doesn't drift too high great but that still doesn't help you with your needed gas supply pressures.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I repaired a similar issue after the installer had teflon tape pull up over the end of one of the 1/2 nipples. Pressure was fine, flow sucked

Comment

is there a 800 number you can call and talk to Tec support?
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                          X