X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to seal shower control valve plate

Any suggestions on how best to do this and have a leak free install. The Kohler plate that come as part of the plumbing package has some kind of foam thing around it but it does not give me a lot of confidence in its ability to stay sealed long term. Calk around the plate could eventually crack and leak in addition to the foam. Should the foam strip be adhered to the tile by some means to prevent it from compressing and letting water in.

Re: How to seal shower control valve plate

what is the surface that it's going against? lots of grout joints or smooth wall granite?

some caulking behind the plate will seal it perfectly. let it squeeze and sponge it smooth. i prefer acrylic with silicone that's water soluble over 100% silicone.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It is honed travertine 18X18 tiles with 1/16" grout joint and one of those joints will be passing though the valve opening although to the side. I'm realizing that with these Kohler filltings I have there is very little margin for error when cutting the opening - you have to be within about 1/4" or so - any smaller and you cannot access the stops and any larger the plate won't cover the hole. I used a concave blade (typically used for cutting sink openings in granite countertops) to cut the opening but forgot that it does make a hole that is a bit larger at the top than at the bottom. The plate just about fits but I will be building up a bit of the opening with poly resin. Hopefully this is making sense

So you are saying to calk around the plate or to caulk the foam strip to the tile?

Comment

there is a small gap between the plate edge and the foam. don't go crazy with caulking. leave the bottom weep hole open. too much caulking and you'll have fun down the road to remove the plate for service.

typical is to caulk around the finished trim only. not behind it. work the caulking in with your finger then sponge smooth for a clean look. either colored or clear caulking is fine.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Okay thanks Rick. I'm not sure about the function of the foam then - is it also supposed to act as a seal? I actually had a leak from a shower plate a while back - turned out they never caulked the plate and the seal was being made by the foam or rubber thing. That seal finally started perishing in the compressed state and started leaking.

Comment

I never had a problem with a foam gasket leaking. We install mostly Delta shower bodies. I like 100% silicone, which cleans up nicely with acetone. Especially for the white caulking, I find the silicone doesn't yellow over time. Good luck sealing the hole. Post pics if you have trouble.

Comment

...it's too bad you can't use the ever popular plumber's putty in this situation.

Comment

they make a newer putty about 4x the cost that is approved for stone. it doesn't have the oil that stains like the normal putty will.

bought a 1# tub to test.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  they make a newer putty about 4x the cost that is approved for stone. it doesn't have the oil that stains like the normal putty will.

bought a 1# tub to test.

rick.
                  Putty, Epoxy, Sealants, and Caulk

Sta Put Ultra

Comment

1) Install a different valve with a bigger plate. 2) Has anyone ever used the stops on a shower valve and not have them leak after? 3) The tiles are 18"x18", why couldnt the valve been centered in one, or at least away from a grout line?
                    Last edited by EJW1; 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM.
                    26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                    X