X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper sink drain line run

I'm installing a sink in my basement and there will be a 2 section drain line run from p-trap to wet vent for a totla of 10' of drain line. The wet vent pvc is 2" dia.

Code says I need a minimum of 1/4" of drop per 1' of run (10' run = 2.5" drop min).

Questions -

Does 1.5" pvc drain pipe have enough flex to bend to give the 1/4" drop per foot or do I need to find Tees that have an angled outlet?

Is a San-T the best tee to use to tie into the 2" pvc wet vent pipe?

Is there specific code for location and accesibility of the "clean-out" that is currently installed in the vent pipe?

Thanks!

Re: Proper sink drain line run

out here, our upc code only allows a 1.5'' trap arm to run 3'-6'' max from the trap to the vent. on 2'' it's a max of 5'-0''.

technically the tees should be cast with the 1/4'' slope molded into the fitting.

the 2.5'' drop you talk about will siphon out the trap.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      out here, our upc code only allows a 1.5'' trap arm to run 3'-6'' max from the trap to the vent. on 2'' it's a max of 5'-0''.

technically the tees should be cast with the 1/4'' slope molded into the fitting.

the 2.5'' drop you talk about will siphon out the trap.

rick.
      Thanks....so...

Is it a given that all tees are cast with the 1/4" slope or do I have to shop for that specific type of tee?

If I have a 10' drain line run and 1/4" drop per foot, the math gives me a 2.5" drop from trap to tee at the wet vent.....how will it "siphon out the trap" if the tee at the wet vent is lower than the trap at the sink?

Thanks

Comment

Sanitary tee

Comment

Originally posted by bsmntace View Post
          Thanks....so...

Is it a given that all tees are cast with the 1/4" slope or do I have to shop for that specific type of tee?

If I have a 10' drain line run and 1/4" drop per foot, the math gives me a 2.5" drop from trap to tee at the wet vent.....how will it "siphon out the trap" if the tee at the wet vent is lower than the trap at the sink?

Thanks
          the physics behind this is that the weir of the trap will be higher than the inlet to the san tee. that's why the 3'6'' limit on 1.5'' and 5' limit on 2'' is established. not sure about the other parts off the countries codes.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

We can go 6' on 1.5" and 8' on 2" trap arms the cleanout should be directly under your sanitary tee. The pipe doesn't bend you drill your holes or hang your strap iron to accommodate the drop.

Comment

Thanks -

Let me backup...

How do I install a drain line to run from a bathroom sink to tie into the existing wet vent 2" pvc pipe and meet the code for Colorado that says "minimum of 1/4" drop for every foot of run"?

The total length of drain line based on sink postion is 10' and includes 2 sections (6' + 4') and a ninty-degree turn.

Also, what tees, pipe, materials, etc do I need?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cincy plumber View Post
                Sanitary tee
                Gee it is a mustang isn`t it and RED I`m getting an erection just looking at it

Tony

Comment

Is this an existing sink? or adding a new sink? I don't know what code Colorado is using, but you will most likely need to run a vent. Fittings could be varied. If you could post some pictures and a diagram of what you are thinking, then give it a few days on here. Take an average of the back and forth that goes on here, you may be able to come to an understanding, of what would work for you. As far as getting the pipe to slope, The best way is to use a level. If you take a two foot level. Put it on the pipe and get the bubble to about slope about 1/2 of the line, that is pretty close. You can also measure from the floor, or Ceiling, but if it is not level or going sloping the wrong way, then you end up with improper slope. If you have concerns about running a wet vent for the distance, some codes allow for an increase in one pipe diameter, but you would have to tie into the same diameter or larger pipe down stream. Before you start, it would be best to call your local plumbing inspector, and ask him what he thinks.
                  "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Thanks -

The previous "word picture" is the best I can muster...it's a new sink installation as part of finishing off the basement.

I called the plumbing inspector and just waiting on a call back.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      the physics behind this is that the weir of the trap will be higher than the inlet to the san tee. that's why the 3'6'' limit on 1.5'' and 5' limit on 2'' is established. not sure about the other parts off the countries codes.

rick.
                      Do not want waste water to totally fill the trap arm
                      Attached Files

Comment

I sometimes tell my customers there are 3 ways to do a plumbing job.
                        1- to code
                        2- a way it will work till the cows and there future generations come home
                        3- wrong
                        Good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X