X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice On Dishwasher Purchase.

We have a Maytag dishwasher (oh- about 5-6 years old, I guess) that had been problematic right after the second year of ownership. For every year after that we have had to get that thing serviced (sometimes twice, thought a year). We made certain that dishes were put into the dishwasher as per the instructions (i.e, without food bits, or residues on them), but that unit was always failing on us. It will run, but will not wash as it should - leaving settled water in the bottom of the unit. Our extended warranty has run out, and I can find no books on how to go about self-servicing this dishwasher (Maytag/ MDBD880AWB).

We may have to try getting another dishwasher, and the question I would like to ask is this: What is a very reliable brand? And one that would be very easy for the user to get to the serviceable parts?

Advanced thanks.
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Re: Advice On Dishwasher Purchase.

I'm also the owner of a POS Maytag Dishwasher. I don't know what happened to that line of home appliances as they used to be very good but I'll never own another Maytag anythng, ever! The way companies are bought and sold nowadays it's hard to keep up with what is quality and what isn't. I know KitchenAid at one time was always rated near the top of the quality list for dishwashers, maybe they still are.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

All modern dishwashers suck goats' arse. I've heard this from numerous sales people and repair people. Quality has disappeared in return for higher profits. Expect 3-5 years from your appliances. Anything more is a bonus. I'm babying a 30 year old noisy GE dishwasher along. No problems yet, and it washes dishes like a fire hose hit them.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My wife has had a Maytag for a while with no problems
        The Kenmore she had before that wore out the sears guy out
        I feel you either get a good one or a lemon in any brand

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          All modern dishwashers suck goats' arse. I've heard this from numerous sales people and repair people. Quality has disappeared in return for higher profits. Expect 3-5 years from your appliances. Anything more is a bonus. I'm babying a 30 year old noisy GE dishwasher along. No problems yet, and it washes dishes like a fire hose hit them.
          I had to laugh, a little, upon reading what you wrote, because the seven sentences of your quote echo (nearly identically) the feelings of a repair technician who had visited our home, a good number of times, for the purpose of getting our D/W (Dish Washer) back in operational order.

I remember him telling me of how he still had a relationship with an old D/W which had been left behind, in a home that he had purchased for him and his family. His wife didn't care much for it, and wanted a new one. But he's been able to hold on to a 'WORKING' unit, with just minimal tinkering. It didn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the newer components, but (shucks) why replace it if it still has muscle enough to get the job done?

It is a shame that manufacturers have adopted the principles that they have. It doesn't spell anything good for consumers.
          ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

We had a Maytag DW for 19 years--no problems. The racks finally started to give out so we decided to get a new machine. Maytag has been sold so many times that we decided to get a Bosch. So far it has been great. of course, it is only about 6 months old. My daughter has a Bosch we put in 12 years ago--no problems.

Comment

Basic- Whirlpool.

More Advanced- Miele

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                We had a Maytag DW for 19 years--no problems. The racks finally started to give out so we decided to get a new machine. Maytag has been sold so many times that we decided to get a Bosch. So far it has been great. of course, it is only about 6 months old. My daughter has a Bosch we put in 12 years ago--no problems.
                Been hearing some very good things about the Bosch D/W units. Methinks I may take a look into one of their models. Thanks.
                ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

I'm with Bob. Miele is as good as you will find. Bought my wife a Bosch because I could get a deal on it through one of my suppliers. Wife said get it out of here and get me a Miele.

Comment

It's either Bosch or Miele for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      I'm with Bob. Miele is as good as you will find. Bought my wife a Bosch because I could get a deal on it through one of my suppliers. Wife said get it out of here and get me a Miele.
                      Never heard of them (Miele) before. Getting ready to do a Google search.
                      ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        It's either Bosch or Miele for me as well.

Flux, I couldn't help noticing your sidearm (Avatar). Very handsome piece of equipment. What caliber? .45?
                        ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by NLAlston View Post
                          Flux, I couldn't help noticing your sidearm (Avatar). Very handsome piece of equipment. What caliber? .45?
                          That's actually not my firearm, as I found that picture online to use as an avatar. If I remember correctly, I think it's a Colt Defender, and been seriously thinking about buying one. I just went this past weekend looking at them, but the guy who appraises "trade-ins" wasn't available to give me a price on my S.A. 9mm.

But I remember looking for grips back then, and I fell in love with the grips on this gun, and...I think a woman is the one who did these custom grips.
                          Last edited by Flux; 12-12-2012, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            That's actually not my firearm, as I found that picture online to use as an avatar. If I remember correctly, I think it's a Colt Defender, and been seriously thinking about buying one. I just went this past weekend looking at them, but the guy who appraises "trade-ins" wasn't available to give me a price on my S.A. 9mm.

But I remember looking for grips back then, and I fell in love with the grips on this gun, and...I think a woman is the one who did these custom grips.
                            Very nice piece, indeed. I, too, am a gun lover, who is always trying to increase his stable. One gun that I have always had an interest in is the .50cal Desert eagle. I have never shot one; never even handled one, but the design elements of that gun has always appealed to me. Maybe I might not feel the same way after I have had the chance to squeeze off a couple of rounds from it .
                            ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

consumer reports magazine puts this one at the top: Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7[5]UC

Comment

Working...
                              X