Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Crane wall tankless toilet contantly running water and leaking from flusher handle Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane wall tankless toilet contantly running water and leaking from flusher handle

There is constant running water coming through the pipe coming out of the wall and streaming into the toilet. The pipe coming out of the wall is all sweated with water. There is also a leak coming out of the handle flusher. when flushing the toilet the drip is a lot stronger. My question is what is wrong with this? and more importantly i'm assuming the pipe needs to be removed from the wall. How would I go about doing this? Does it screw out counter clockwise after I remove the pipe coming into the toilet itself? I could not find a name on the piping or flusher. The toilet is a crane toilet. This is a commercial toilet in a private house. I am mechanically inclined. I just need some advice as to what the problem might be inside the flushing assembly or are there some kind of washers inside that need to be replaced or do I need to replace the whole assembly and flusher. I included links of photos.
    Thank you.
    Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

Attached Files

Re: Crane wall tankless toilet contantly running water and leaking from flusher handl

I see your flushometer is a straight thru coming out of the wall to the actual flushometer. Not exactly a very popular type design as the majority of the flushometer installs have "right angle" shutoffs. Exacerbating your issue is your right angled tailpiece attached to the commode spud is very "tight". I personally would change out the whole flushometer, shutoff, the whole tail-piece up to and including the spud washer. BTW, the shutoff coming out of the wall should be a standard 1-inch brass nipple but you will have to take the whole flushometer off and size everything to be replaced at your local plumbing supply house. Suggest you go with a Sloan Royale or in a pinch a Sloan Regal (Royal better finished and uses better quality casting and finish versus yellow brass on Regal)....either choice of Regal or Royal is still better than what you have. Piece-meal fixing your present flushometer (new diaphram, rebuilt handle, etc) will probably come out more in costs versus swapping out everything not to mention frustration of aesthetics and future repairs. Be sure and use teflon tape on both ends of brass nipple for easier repairs down the road. Your present flushometer appears to have served you well however it's time to retire the fixture. Only issue I see is difficulty making the tile work look nice after repair ... looks like the shutoff valve is below the level of the finished tilework...good luck!

Comment

Re: Crane wall tankless toilet contantly running water and leaking from flusher handl

swong, for not being in the trade, your post is written better than 90% in the trade. good job

as swong has mentioned, the only time i've used those style flusometers are when we had an odd handicap installation and needed a center flush actuator. but it still had the standard side water outlet.

rear entry flush els are not the standard anymore. top spuds are the standard.

since the tile is already wasted, are you able to move the water outlet to the right side 4.75'' off center. this will make for a standard flushometer install and clean up the tile that is wasted. you just don't have the room for a rear entry valve to sit properly.

good post and photos. good job swong

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick,
        Your instructions sound great but i'm having a hard time putting the plumbing terminology together with the photos to get a visual of your recommendation. do you think you can add some tool tips to the photos to give me an idea such as what you mean moving the water outlet to the right side 4.75 off center? not sure what u mean by water outlet and what off center where. i just want to know how i shut this thing off, if there is a shut off valve somewhere built into this thing which i was told there was or would i have to go to the main. and if its possible that there is some worn gasket that is causing the water to constantly run. replacing everything isnt an option. lastly how would i remove this thing out of the wall? what is behind the tile? does it screw out counter clockwise in a threaded pipe? im a tenant and just looking for a sorter term fix if possible.
        thanks

Comment

http://www.sloanvalve.com/Specifications/Royal_120.pdf

Comment

New Sloan valve to go with new toilet. But first make sure you have enough pressure to make the new valve work. Their is a good chance that when you start moving the pipes around another leak will start. I say bite the bullet and replace both. Or cap the Sloan valve, and pull some water from a lav next to it or...??? And put in a regular toilet. Put a shiny clean out plate over the tile gash and call it a day.

Comment

There is actually plenty of pressure. When flushed the water gushes into the toilet with a lot of power and volume and is very loud so pressure is there. My question before which wasnt answered is how and where would I shut the water off in this system that I have? And as far as removing the system from the wall, is it screwed into the wall like a threaded fitting that I would remove counterclockwise with a pipe wrench?

Comment

As a tenant I would not reccomend even thinking about touching that or any other plumbing fixture phone your landlord and get him to hire a plumber if you touch it and fail in fixing it you are now liable for repairs or damages.. just a suggestion thou..its up to you, I know if my tenant touched my plumbing is be piissed right off.

Comment

That's not the case here. I need to do the repairs myself. It's all built into the rent. So I have to do it. Can anyone help me here please that knows anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by handymanguy View Post
                    That's not the case here. I need to do the repairs myself. It's all built into the rent. So I have to do it. Can anyone help me here please that knows anything about this?
                    Go to a plumbing supply house with a very good picture of valve. Tell them you want to fix for the least amount(cuz I'm thinking that's what you want) be friendly patient. If there are other plumbers around insist they go before your turn. IOW wait until till there is a lull. Tell them in as few words as possible what you wrote. They should start you off with a kit that can rebuild the handle which will fix the flushing problem and probably leak. Ask them how to turn off water to valve, it's easy, screwdriver and channel locks will do it. Be brave, you can do it. Good luck.

Comment

And if the toilet can be down for a day or two, you can turn off water and take in handle assembly. Check this out.How to Work on a Sloan Valve | eHow.com
                      Good luck let us know how it went down for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X