Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once again I'm "knee deep in alligators".......

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again I'm "knee deep in alligators".......

Been fighting a horrible shower drain clog the last 48 hours and I think Imight have a handle on this. In the interest of preventing instances of this another year from now (annual ritual for me) I thought it wise to pick the brains of the experts here. Any recomendations for a decent hair strainer which I can place in the tub drain? I go through a annual snaking of the tub drain every year and this year was no different. Last night I thought I had it solved after running water after snaking out "mongo-sized" wads of hair...judging from lengths of strands wife is guilty party besides me being almost bald. We've tried all the Home Depot/Lowes tub and shower stall hair strainers but nothing seems to work reliably. The flexible vinyl strainers after a month pucker up on the edges and hair eventually goes under the strainer & easily down the drain. Any recommendations for something better than what I see at HD/Lowes?

Secondly, the brass cleanout plug refuses to screw back into the cast iron cleanout. It appears the threads on the cast iron cleanout are all rusted, missing or just plain worn out. I tried the Oatey red colored wing-nut screw down plugs but the cleanout appears to be odd-sized. TIA for any worthwhile idea or reccomendations everyone!

Re: Once again I'm "knee deep in alligators".......

they make lead tapered c/o plugs that will bite into the old threads.

out here we typically snake through the tub overflow. not too common to have a clean out for a tub or shower.

can you post a photo of the tub drain and strainer.

they make snap in grids that should work. typically a 1.5'' opening in the shoe spud. might have better luck in an old school hardware store. or i have a box of them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	14b2266e02c0b220e69751305e888d96.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	16999Click image for larger version

Name:	60d8f7950a957f2126214b55de857406.jpg
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	16998Click image for larger version

Name:	fed64f0a5a87dc8104e2d5a40457e103.jpg
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	16997Click image for larger version

Name:	c322cb4e22bda61cbe9577462101525b.jpg
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	16996Click image for larger version

Name:	84ffdccd1f227a02883a45635644a48d.jpg
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	16995Click image for larger version

Name:	1334ea6b2b8c2106ba77883904a34cc9.jpg
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	16994Morning Rick,
      Sorry for the tardiness uploading pic's of my hair strainer but better late than never. Attached are pics of the hair strainer and you can see the edges after a few months have "puckered up"thereby raising the edges which then allow wife's hair to make it into the tub drain. Other pics just so happens to be my latest "honey do" project, i.e., snaking out all said hair along with finally what may be success on my part. Day 3 of my main clog from house to city sewer and I managed to snag this 3 foot section of tree roots after swapping out to a 3/8-inch inner core 25-foot cable with with very aggressive pig-tail. My back and limbs are sore and painful after all this kneeling and bending. Did I mention I've been on this for 3 days?...each of the days lasting approximately 2 hours with "perceived" success after running full blasts of garden hose water so it runs freely to sewer. Each of the prior two days upon waking I would pro-actively pick up the metal plate covering the basement pit only to find the pit completely full of waste water. I'm hoping after yanking out this 3-footer of tree roots I might now have a handle on this typical homeowner ailment.

I'm chomping on the bit deciding what model Samsung flat panel TV I'll purchase with the savings not having to call in a commercial drain cleaning company. Did I also mention all this drain cleaning is performed with a well used Milwaukee hand-held drain cleaner. BTW, I got too lazy NOT swapping out the 1/2-inch cable but after 2 frustrating days I loaded the Milwaukee with a 3/8-inch inner core cable with a very aggressive pib-tail and voila!....success on this 3-foot string of tree roots.

Anyway please give me thoughts on a better hair strainer other than the jun sold at Lowes and HD

Comment

Originally posted by swong View Post

Name:	14b2266e02c0b220e69751305e888d96.jpg
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	16999Click image for larger version

Name:	60d8f7950a957f2126214b55de857406.jpg
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	16998Click image for larger version

Name:	fed64f0a5a87dc8104e2d5a40457e103.jpg
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	16997Click image for larger version

Name:	c322cb4e22bda61cbe9577462101525b.jpg
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	16996Click image for larger version

Name:	84ffdccd1f227a02883a45635644a48d.jpg
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	16995Click image for larger version

Name:	1334ea6b2b8c2106ba77883904a34cc9.jpg
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	16994Morning Rick,
        Sorry for the tardiness uploading pic's of my hair strainer but better late than never. Attached are pics of the hair strainer and you can see the edges after a few months have "puckered up"thereby raising the edges which then allow wife's hair to make it into the tub drain. Other pics just so happens to be my latest "honey do" project, i.e., snaking out all said hair along with finally what may be success on my part. Day 3 of my main clog from house to city sewer and I managed to snag this 3 foot section of tree roots after swapping out to a 3/8-inch inner core 25-foot cable with with very aggressive pig-tail. My back and limbs are sore and painful after all this kneeling and bending. Did I mention I've been on this for 3 days?...each of the days lasting approximately 2 hours with "perceived" success after running full blasts of garden hose water so it runs freely to sewer. Each of the prior two days upon waking I would pro-actively pick up the metal plate covering the basement pit only to find the pit completely full of waste water. I'm hoping after yanking out this 3-footer of tree roots I might now have a handle on this typical homeowner ailment.

I'm chomping on the bit deciding what model Samsung flat panel TV I'll purchase with the savings not having to call in a commercial drain cleaning company. Did I also mention all this drain cleaning is performed with a well used Milwaukee hand-held drain cleaner. BTW, I got too lazy NOT swapping out the 1/2-inch cable but after 2 frustrating days I loaded the Milwaukee with a 3/8-inch inner core cable with a very aggressive pib-tail and voila!....success on this 3-foot string of tree roots.

Anyway please give me thoughts on a better hair strainer other than the jun sold at Lowes and HD
        This statement gives no incentive to help someone who downgrades the very trade you're asking for help....stay sore.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

what i need to see is the drain without the strainer. they make little grids that snap on top and also ones that fit inside that look like a thimble.

you really need more than a hand help snake for those roots. you will get stuck and break your cable in the line. all you're doing is getting wound up in a pony tail and not really cutting the roots flush with the pipe walls. it like grabbing ones pony tail and pulling until it breaks instead of using a pair of hair scissors or shears.

a jetter or decent pressure washer with the right hose and nozzle will probably be your best choice. of course a proper snake will do too, but you can get a decent pressure washer and hose, nozzles for less money and also use it for cleanup around the gutters, deck, driveway.

2500, 3 gpm gas pressure washer will work if you have the time. $400 plus another $200 for a hose and nozzle.

a real snake will cost you $1000 and up. not to mention it takes a real feel to stay safe and do a proper job.

save your milwaukee for the sink and shower drain. never the main or anything 2.5'' and larger.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            This statement gives no incentive to help someone who downgrades the very trade you're asking for help....stay sore.
            and a samsung probably led/lcd too
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Rick,
              Once again I have taken your sage advice and the latest news is I made my first Craig's List purchase and scored a "NIB" Rigid K400 for $300. Had to drive some 33 miles out to pick up the unit and arranged the transaction at a popular mall parking lot. Wife initially fussed over possible shady people robbing people at these pre-arranged locations but suffice it to say many precautions were taken. I am once again like a kid in a candy store having met this seller who just so happened to have multiple units of K400's and K45AF's. Passed on the NIB K45AF's but passed the word out to friends and family on his $225 for new K45AF's. Since my last post I got hold of your reccommended lead cleanout plugs and once again....Rick rocks!
              I was a bit disappointed in some of the replies but it's "water under the bridge"....take the advice and ignore the mean-spirited posts. I will continue however to ocassionaly post since it's people like yourself who appears to have been brought up the same way as I ..... well mannered, articulate but most importantly sage advice. I try never to to post simply to talk trash or make myself known but when I do it's because I am in immediate need of advice and assistance. For those who are interested in NIB K400's at $300/unit and NIB K45AF's at $225/unit send me your email and I'll either forward you the Crig's List link or forward your interest to this seller...he's a nice person. I don't ask how he can sell stuff like this so cheap so long as it's new, comes with a factory warranty, and a full refund if you change you mind. Happy new year everyone!

PS... this K400 along with my Milwaukee hand held and Rigid K39AF now completes my arsenal of homeowners drain clearing equipment.

Comment

not trying to cause you any grief,
                but the K400 is not a root machine, I have the K380 and it is much the same, yes I did roots with it, and was very lucky to get my cable back, do not take me wrong it is a good mid size soft stoppage machine, and can do where the hand held leaves off, and the power feed is nice, and you do not have to hold it, (like the Milwaukee unit),

just proceed with caution if your getting into roots, in larger pipe the cable can flip and knot up, if you hit a solid obstruction, and some times you can just wrap enough roots around the cable and not break them loose and many times very hard to back it off, to get ti to release, the 1/2 cable is better than the 3/8" but really is not enough for doing roots,

after a near disaster, using my K380 in roots, I found a used K750 with 3/4" cable and it has the strength and the heft to do a job, but like Rick said you need to know what your doing or they can hurt you, and make sure you have the correct gloves, as rubber gloves can get one in trouble fast,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD!
                  Yes, I did take notice the supplied cutters are somewhat limited but as you have stated, it's not a root cutting cleaner. The price was what turned me on immediately along with the 75 foot solid core 3/8 inch cable which came with the unit. My main drain is just a bit over 30 feet before it goes into the city's sewer line. I figure I need 2 uses before the K400 pays for itself completely. All the commercial rooting guys all ask $200 just to walk into the door to say hello followed by $65 for the first hour or fraction thereof.

My goal is to use the 1-1/2 inch C-cutter and run it into the trunk line every other year just as a preventative measure for clogs. My wife and son are constantly aware of what to NOT flush down the drain but I have no control over the roots which this year reared it's ugly. When I had my recent slow drains this past month I used what drains cleaners I had and this so happened to be the old Milwaukee hand held. Right now I am researching purchasing a spare 1/2 solid core cable but am trying to avoid using the Rigid cutters and attachments...very pricey and cost prohibitive. One of the online cable suppliers suggested a bulb head cable along with a cheaper head...ideas below

Name:	201398be11e40108c5446140a0239635.jpg
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	17063
                  Last edited by swong; 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

when I was talking about gloves this post had come to mine but could not find it,

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t30447/
                    So, he gets tired of the "high price" of getting the main cleared every few years, goes out and rents a cable machine and sets it up. He then puts on his COTTON GLOVES and starts the machine. Line goes in, he's guiding it... The glove gets caught on the cable.

"I see what looks like a long red string wrapping around the cable. It was the skin, muscle and tendon from my index finger." Cable snapped his finger off. "And I STILL had to pay to have my drain cleared!"
                    on the roots run it spring and fall if you have them, and the machine, get them before they get that big, that they block the line, getting therm while there small will be a lot better than waiting until they are 3/8 thick and need a big machine to hack them,

I have always used rigid products on the machines, most thing worth wile are not cheap in this life, what I have found in most instances you basically get what you pay for,

IF your saving $200 a time things will break even in a few years,

(I am not much more than a DIY as well, I take care of a few properties (family and church) and my own, but not really a pro), but you can get some small spiral root cutters and so on, for the K400 they have a lot of cutters that will fit the cable, just use common sense,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by swong View Post
                      Rick,
                      Once again I have taken your sage advice and the latest news is I made my first Craig's List purchase and scored a "NIB" Rigid K400 for $300. Had to drive some 33 miles out to pick up the unit and arranged the transaction at a popular mall parking lot. Wife initially fussed over possible shady people robbing people at these pre-arranged locations but suffice it to say many precautions were taken. I am once again like a kid in a candy store having met this seller who just so happened to have multiple units of K400's and K45AF's. Passed on the NIB K45AF's but passed the word out to friends and family on his $225 for new K45AF's. Since my last post I got hold of your reccommended lead cleanout plugs and once again....Rick rocks!
                      I was a bit disappointed in some of the replies but it's "water under the bridge"....take the advice and ignore the mean-spirited posts. I will continue however to ocassionaly post since it's people like yourself who appears to have been brought up the same way as I ..... well mannered, articulate but most importantly sage advice. I try never to to post simply to talk trash or make myself known but when I do it's because I am in immediate need of advice and assistance. For those who are interested in NIB K400's at $300/unit and NIB K45AF's at $225/unit send me your email and I'll either forward you the Crig's List link or forward your interest to this seller...he's a nice person. I don't ask how he can sell stuff like this so cheap so long as it's new, comes with a factory warranty, and a full refund if you change you mind. Happy new year everyone!

PS... this K400 along with my Milwaukee hand held and Rigid K39AF now completes my arsenal of homeowners drain clearing equipment.
                      I am a DIY that would not go into a root job with a K400 or K45. And K45's can be found on Ebay for $225, so no big deal on your buddy.

Take the advice of the pro's, cleaning hair is different from cleaning roots. Let the pro's come with the jetter, you won't need it every year anyway if it is done right, and your time is worth something isn't it?

Comment

Put the new K400 through it's paces today and it's the first time I have ever used a drum type floor model with foot pedal. Very nice Rigid design! Main trunk line from base of the house to the actual city sewer is no more than 25-30 feet away but I fed 40-45 feet of K400 cable out just to make it into the city sewer. No obstructions or resistance during today's exercise and ran plenty of garden hose water. K400 speed is very slow as cable turns but much better torque compared to electric hand held. I'm do plan on purchase of a spare K400 cable but now have time to be selective seeking out a quality 1/2-inch solid core cable. Line from house to street appears to be 4-inch CI so I am also considering a 2-1/2 inch cutter just so I can run it down the line once a year hoping it will scrape along the walls. I'm sure the 4-inch CI line has it's share of crud and protrusions hanging off the walls. I considered purchasing and adding the autofeed to the K400 but it's not necessary since cable slowly feeds in w/o assistance each time I depress the foot pedal. Back to day trading and leisurely walks once again....Happy 2013 everyone!

Comment

Yeah snaking sewers with mega roots can be a big deal.
                          Lots of plumbers don't even do main sewers.
                          Can be dangerous too.
                          Call all the jetter manufactures, ask for info from one sold in your area. Call and offer him a chance to test, practice on your line at a reduced cost.
                          Or bite the proverbial bullet and hire a plumber with at jetter that can guarantee that if it's JUST roots, he can clear it. With camera verification.
                          Then maintain your line with just cabling.
                          Good luck on your sewer and new tv.
                          Hair strainers? There is no magic awesome unbelievable hair strainer, just like there is no high end nose hair trimmer. Go to home depot Lowes etc, look and decide what will work for you, you might need to trim the strainer, but make sure no sharp ends are left . where you can cut yourself.
                          This isn't a perfect world and hair will clog ur drain again.
                          What u can do is shave all the heads in your household, rinse all grime off your bodies out side b4 stepping in shower,using no soaps and hair products, no blowing nose either. That should reduce your shower back ups. Lol
                          Or replace your pipes, but then you'd might have to kiss that tv good bye. Don't get to weird over this. Good luck
                          Last edited by theplungerman; 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Both my daughters were home for the holidays and one of the two is here for a trimester while she interns. Half an hour ago she mentioned that the water in their bath tub was not draining well. They both have long hair so I was pretty sure what the problem was. I only put about a foot or so of my hand snake down the drain and gave it a half turn, pulled out what looked like a dead animal ( hair clog)
                            You guys earn your money!

Comment

Working...
                            X