X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can vent go down few inch?

I need to join a washing machine vent into an existing vertical vent line which is in another room. Because there is a beam, the new washing machine vent will go up, go horizontal and then go down about 5" to connect to the existing vertical vent line. Is that 5" down ok?

Re: can vent go down few inch?

No.

Comment

no it's not. either it can be run graded back to the fixtures or actually semi flat as long as the vent is at least 6'' above the overflow of the fixture.

having a 5'' dip can and will fill up with water and block the flow of venting. all it takes is a stoppage or rain from the roof vent down.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Ditto to the others. no. I didn't capitalize it, in case your sensitive.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          no it's not. either it can be run graded back to the fixtures or actually semi flat as long as the vent is at least 6'' above the overflow of the fixture.

having a 5'' dip can and will fill up with water and block the flow of venting. all it takes is a stoppage or rain from the roof vent down.

rick.
          My situation is presented on the attached paper. I cannot see any risk of vent being blocked by the water.
          Attached Files

Comment

Even though there is little to no risk of the vent becoming blocked,as you've drawn it.In the majority of inspectors eyes,it does not meet code.

However after just re-reading the IPC,section 905 "Vent connections and grades" ......btw, this is a direct quote from 2009 IPC,not sure what you follow in your locale.

905.2 Grade. All vent and branch vent pipes shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to the drainage pipe by gravity.

Technically,how you have it drawn,the vent does meet the letter of the code, the vent does eventually drain back to the drainage pipe by gravity.....albeit through the vent stack first,it's an argument, I guess you could have with the plumbing inspector....

Comment

i'm lost as why you need to drop the 5''. even with a beam. why not just start 5'' lower and grade it up.?

can you post a real picture of the pipe and attic space.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

i'm lost as why you need to drop the 5''. even with a beam. why not just start 5'' lower and grade it up.?

rick.
                The new vent will pass cross a door. So it has to be higher enough and then meet beam it has to be on top of the beam. The existing vertical vent (metal pipe) has an opening a little lower than what I want. Otherwise I have to cut that pipe to make a new joint a little higher. It is not a convenient place to cut. I will load a picture tonight.

Comment

I've run into this more then once,usually when dealing with architects who are trying to squeeze every inch of height out of a building...They'll set finished ceilings up into the pockets between structural steel,soffiting around the steel.They don't want to hear that the ceiling's gotta get lowered 6"-8" to accomodate a pipe that just supplies air..I've been asked for the specific code referances that say it's prohibited....and with the mostly vague language the IPC is written in ,there isn't alot to fall back on,other then to say....."You just can't do it."

Comment

Why can't you vent it through the roof separately?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                      Why can't you vent it through the roof separately?
                      My thought exactly.

Comment

rick.
                        I am sorry the drawing I provided is NOT correct because that "roof" should be "floor". Where I am asking is in the basement and my house is a one story ranch house. It seems that a better solution is make a new cut and insert a tee as higher as possible. Here are some pictures. The new vent will come into this bathroom along the joist.
                        Attached Files

Comment

"Ahhhh....we meet again old galvanized elbow rolling back into the wall..."

Comment

cut the nipple and leave approx 1.25'' of pipe sticking out from the 90. also cut out the old tee. install a sanatary tee at the upper cut and band it to the stub. this will put you as high as possible. fill in the gap with a section of pipe and band it to the riser.

are you using abs , pvc, or cast iron no hub?

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

cut the nipple and leave approx 1.25'' of pipe sticking out from the 90. also cut out the old tee. install a sanatary tee at the upper cut and band it to the stub. this will put you as high as possible. fill in the gap with a section of pipe and band it to the riser.

are you using abs , pvc, or cast iron no hub?

rick.
                              Don't believe he has the room. Gotta' be higher. Elbow or more might have to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X