X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone & ATF mixture application

Given that the best penetrant/lubricator has been "proven" to be a 50/50 mixture of acetone & automatic transmission fluid (per the April 2007 issue of Machinist Morkshop Magazine), what's the best way to actually apply it?

My frozen, rusty Ridgid 246 soil pipe cutters were utterly impervious to generous doses of PB Blaster, so I've decided to try this mixture as a last resort.

So I'm thinking about going all-out and making a 6-quart mixture of it, putting it in a pan, and completely submerging the frozen part of the tool in the mixture for 24 hours. I know, this is extremely excessive & wasteful. But considering my tool's condition, I'd rather entirely overdo the application than to underdo it. After all, fixing it for under $40 like this would be far more ideal than having Ridgid fix it for $150+.

Would my proposed method of "overkill" get the job done, or would it would it actually do worse than applying it through a brush or spray bottle? In case I haven't made it clear, this tool needs to be thoroughly, deeply lubricated, and a quick spray isn't gonna do squat. So what is the best way I could go about doing this?

Re: Acetone & ATF mixture application

Way overkill in my opinion.

Did you try any of the suggestions earlier?

Or what Ridgid recommended in the link someone provided?

Sounds over-tweaked open or closed and NOT frozen by rust to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      Way overkill in my opinion.

Did you try any of the suggestions earlier?

Or what Ridgid recommended in the link someone provided?

Sounds over-tweaked open or closed and NOT frozen by rust to me.
      I did try to use a wrench to rock the round hand tightener, but it didn't budge at all.

I don't have access to a vice right now, but somehow I really doubt I'll manage to get it to move just by pushing really hard...(though I guess I can't be sure until I try it). BTW, what is a "cheater" that Ridgid was talking about when they were giving these instructions? :

Originally posted by ToolMan View Post
      Put the soil pipe cutter's lower portion in a vise. The portion where the Hook assembly and the Chain assembley are attached to the tool. The Ratchet handle housing should be at the top. Put the directional arrow pointing toward the words OPEN on the Housing. Now, push the Handle in the direction the arrow is pointing. This may take a lot of force which may require a cheater over the handle.

Comment

A "cheater" is typically an 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" Galvanized pipe put over a wrench etc. that is longer for leverage. Any kind of strong steel pipe will do though.

Question: Are you a plumber or service person of any kind? It's just unusual to get asked what a cheater is by someone that would buy a 246 cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          A "cheater" is typically an 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" Galvanized pipe put over a wrench etc. that is longer for leverage. Any kind of strong steel pipe will do though.

Question: Are you a plumber or service person of any kind? It's just unusual to get asked what a cheater is by someone that would buy a 246 cutter.
          In case my newbie questions haven't made it obvious, I am not a plumber and using these tools is not a profession of mine. I had a single, specific job I was hoping to accomplish with this, and that's why I bought it. I figured it'd be nice to have in the future too.

Unfortunately, it's become a bigger hassle than I'd hoped for...

Comment

cheater is the tool that makes curved pipe wrenches, splits sockets and checks the quality of the your 100% tool replacement guarantee,
            a very expensive and special bending/braking machine, that is only to be used by trained professionals, cheaters usually are random length but can be up to 12 feet long, in extreme cases, and if to use properly is best to position it so one can stand and jump on it or as least brace there back in to some thing and push on it with your legs,
            most tool shops do not put the tool up in front for sale as it is a very special order,

below are few examples I have found on the net to of them show the proper use and lengths one should strive for, and like shown if it is short jump up and down on it,

and rember the use of cheaters is most likely a 100% OSHA disapproved procedure,

URLs for the pictures,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BHD; 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X