X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walk in tubs

Interested in hearing about pros and cons of various makes of walk-in tubs.

Also like to know about ones that have been in service for a while and if there are problems like leaks around the door seal.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: walk in tubs

Put one in last year. The problem that I saw was the time filling and draining.

Comment

I have NOT installed one yet. I have been asked several times as people get older they become more interested in things like this. So I do as much homework as possible. Ask showrooms or others that have them.

I keep hearing story after story of leakage at the door in less than a year regardless of model. Prices around 5-6K before installation.

Had one customer that was ready to pull the trigger on one after all information was passed to them. Like stokefire, I was concerned with filling and draining. So I was planning to put in a 3/4" valve & 3" p-trap adapted however to get the thing empty. (Some emergency could arise to get someone out.)

We also looked at Kohler's Elevance. Elevance Rising Wall Bathtub by Kohler

But ultimately at the last minute they decided to do a walk-in shower.

Comment

We put in a Kohler elevance last winter for a customer
        With 3 drains it gets rid of the water really fast , You could get trapped in it if the power goes out , they recommend a battery back up is you have a lot of outages
        It did look comfortable if you like to take baths

Comment

Yes, the A. S. was about 5 to 6k. Don't know about the seal around the door, haven't heard back from the homeowner about that.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I like the Kohler design with the rising wall better than some I have seen with a hinged door. But the power outage and not being able to get out would be something to consider as you have said. Was asked by a family member about them and never having installed or even seen one myself couldn't offer much guidance, but you guys I knew would have some first hand knowledge about them.

The cost of the Kohler would probably turn them off and toward a walk-in shower, but I'll get some info for them on the Kohler and whatever else I can find out there.

Thanks again.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Some years ago we did a build out for Sunrise Retirement Home. They had one installed on each floor. I think six in all. Hinged door, 3" drain and emergency latch. Filled quickly and was very quiet. It had lots of contours so the housekeepers didn't care for it because it was difficult to clean. Sorry can't remember the name. AmeraSpa maybe? The door seal inflated with air as it filled and seemed pretty durable. I tried to make it leak when full by pulling on the door but no go. It locked down pretty soilid. We covered the warranty for two years after the facility opened and don't remember ever going back to service one. They were each used several times a day for therapy, not so much for batheing.

Comment

Thanks PC and everyone, you input is helpful.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem like you would have to be inside it the whole time it fills up? You guys covered the draining quickly part but when you say it fill up quickly....what kind of time frame you thinking and how much water do they hold on average?
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

That Kohler unit is not really a walk in tub. It looks like it would be much more difficult to get into and out of vs. the hinged door. Ease of entry is the main reason I get inquiries about the walk in tubs.

Comment

I recently installed one the mechanical waste and overflow was a piece of shiitt. The door slid up then hinged actually seemed descent it came with a tub filler/ faucet 3/4mip adaptors on bottom. It filled in about 3 minutes it was quite big. It was a pain in the *** for the tile guy cause nothing was square on it the drain was 1.5 but there were two of them. I ran it into a 2",trap actually drained fairly quick. The brand was Pegasus or unicorn or something similer it was 8000$ before install with Jacuzzi pump and faucet. Haven't got a call back yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X