X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washing machine valve box

what are the 2 capped pipes that tee off the supply lines for? something to eliminate water hammer? if you needed to replace the valves would you replace all the pipes shown in the photo? Seems like it would be difficult to cut the lines connected only to the valves.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4e90c23c55977b20a71927fda427384d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	17041

Re: washing machine valve box

Air chambers. Never seen it done that way.
    All fixtures with quick closing valves (i.e. solenoids) should have shock arrestors.
    Those particular hose bibbs look like they can be unscrewed for replacement.

Comment

Re: washing machine valve box

those are poor man's water hammer arrestors. they are not needed in cases of a well system or where an expansion tank is installed on a city water system. the more common ones are screwed in and look similar to CO2 cartridges as used in paint ball guns.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Will the water hammer arrestors eventually fill with water?

Will the air in the pipes be absorbed into the water and they will fail to minimize water hammer?
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: Will the water hammer arrestors eventually fill with water?

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          Will the air in the pipes be absorbed into the water and they will fail to minimize water hammer?
          Have to think that it would happen eventually, especially if there is pressure. this photo give rise to memories of salesmen at suppliers and the bs they tell the weekend warriors whilst extracting copious quantities of cash from them for "remedies' to water hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            yes, in a very short amount of time.

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            Have to think that it would happen eventually, especially if there is pressure. this photo give rise to memories of salesmen at suppliers and the bs they tell the weekend warriors whilst extracting copious quantities of cash from them for "remedies' to water hammer
            it kills that me they would tell people this since selling them the proper parts would result in a better installation and more profit.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks guys. This is as installed by the builder. Would you recommend removing and replacing with the valves that have the built in arrestors (made by Oatey) ?

Also considering adding a laundry tub sink in the empty spot. Would it be OK to wye into the vertical pipe and essentially use the washing machine discharge pipe trap as the sink trap as well or would the sink require its own trap (essentially having 2 traps in line before the ejector pit) ?
              I guess the 3rd option is for the sink to have its own trap and then tie that in after the existing washing machine trap

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffd08bbecac07b2a4e8cf788955722c0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	17052
              Last edited by paumat; 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X