X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Water Heaters

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
    he recommends tankless
    its a tankless job but someone has to do it.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'm a tank guy myself. I can't really see any reasons other than saving space, that a tankless has over the tank. Efficiency on water heaters is the biggest load crap to ever come out. How much does it cost per year to operate a tank type water heater? Not much.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
        I'm a tank guy myself. I can't really see any reasons other than saving space, that a tankless has over the tank. Efficiency on water heaters is the biggest load crap to ever come out. How much does it cost per year to operate a tank type water heater? Not much.
        You're 100% right.

I installed a tankless 3 years ago in my house to prove a point. I save a whopping $5.00 a month on my gas bill.

By the time you figure in the initial cost, the annual maintenance, the delay of hot water and ultimately a special circulating pump to speed up delivery and cut out on wasted water, I would say, over the live of the tankless, it will have cost me several thousand more than my tank heater would.

The whole green thing is designed around the manufacturer and plumber who sold you the heater. They made all the green.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Down here we have one manufactured by Hardi-dux. What a piece of trash. Rick glad you mentioned the GREEN THING. This has been the biggest con on the modern world. Manufacturers designing around the guidelines to comply. for instance, in order to gain a 5 star rating they reduced the size of the staanding pilot in one heater. Now Rinnai, great company with what appears to be a bottomless budget for advertising are one of the main contributers to the misleading information. Why cant they just produce a good product and move on. It appears to be an extemely viscious circle with employment through warranty and yet no answerability to selling trash. So where is the equation in the GREEN WASHING for the dud units. Rick I also see you mentioned another of ours, RAYPAK. Now RHEEM bought this company too. Seems that they are not what they used to be as well. Although a good installation is always the starting point as well.
          One big secret I am unfortunately going to share, not with you guys over there but all the other "so called expert plumbers here" is that it is critical to look at the inlet pressure to the hws. On stprage units I always install Pressure Reducing valves to reduce the stress on the units and the valves. Dont get as many calls for leaking valves but do get happy clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            Aquamax - Strainless Steel cylinder, 10 yr warranty, 5 star energy rating.

Mind you RHEEM now own them so we are waiting for the changes to begin. Rheem was getting absolutely flogged in our marketplace. he who has the money rules the roost. So because Rheem were so crap they bought out Aquamax.
            Yes and I remember all those years ago when aquamax come out with the stainless steal tank and a ten year guarantee and how it could be adjusted from a 135Lt to a 200Lt in the one unit and rheem sent every plumber a video to con us into beleaving it was a piece of crap and hoping that it would fail before the ten year guarantee but it didn`t when the only guarantee rheem gave was five years but then spun a bit more glass onto the inside of their steel cylinders and gave a ten year guarantee no rheem had the market to itself but took the public for mugs and did no R & D and the plumber and public saw right through them.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              What gas tank type Water Heaters are y'all installing and why? I've been installing Bradford White with good results. Recently I have had a few issues with the tapped threads for there T&P being too lose from the factory, and I've heard of a few complaints on there Honeywell Ion control valves. I haven't had any problems with them, but want to know what other plumbers are putting in.
              We are strictly Bradford White again, and I've never had a problem with the threads on the T&P valve inlet nor the Icon.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                Yes and I remember all those years ago when aquamax come out with the stainless steal tank and a ten year guarantee and how it could be adjusted from a 135Lt to a 200Lt in the one unit and rheem sent every plumber a video to con us into beleaving it was a piece of crap and hoping that it would fail before the ten year guarantee but it didn`t when the only guarantee rheem gave was five years but then spun a bit more glass onto the inside of their steel cylinders and gave a ten year guarantee no rheem had the market to itself but took the public for mugs and did no R & D and the plumber and public saw right through them.

Tony
                there wouldnt happen to be a youtube of said video is there?
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

In Europe a tankless water heater is often in the bathroom, right above the tub, with the kitchen sink on the other side of the wall. As point of use, I think tankless can be cost effective. Or, in a one bath pool house which only gets occasional use. As for as costs go, installing a tankless in new construction is a lot less expensive vis-a-vis a tank than in retrofit because in new both gas and flue have to be run regardless of heater type. That said, I prefer a tank (BW or AOS are about the same) for a conventional American home with 2 or more baths and a remote location for domestic HW. Now if you've got a house with radiant heat, I'd go with a combi boiler and tank set up.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with A O Smith Vertex heaters? I've got a friend who is pushing the GDHE-50.
                    A.O. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      Has anyone had any experience with A O Smith Vertex heaters? I've got a friend who is pushing the GDHE-50.
                      A.O. Smith

We've only installed maybe a handful of them. One thing to note. We did an install where the PVC vented straight up through the roof instead of a side wall. Well the day of install we ran late so we didn't put the candy cane on the exhaust after punching it through. Then Super Storm Sandy hit. Unit wouldn't fire up after that. Kept producing fan and ignition error codes. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why the fan was blowing like crazy when removed from the heater but no air was coming out of the exhaust at the bottom of the heater. Stuck a camera down the heat exchanger to find a column of water 3 feet high. Rain water came down the exhaust pipe, ran through the blower and into the heat exchanger where it pooled up. Sucked it out with a shop vac. 2 hours of disassembly and troubleshooting because someone was too lazy to glue on a couple of 90's. Lesson learned!

Comment

I use Bradfordwhite. I just bid installing two 100 gallon 399,000 btu tanks today. We are removing A.O. Smith Piece of JUNK, that keeps blinking error codes. Someone also came in and sold them 3 norritz tankless units (also blinking error codes) I looked in the other room and saw the world's largest commercial dishwasher that I haver ever seen. Thing wouldn't fit in a two car garage. I just had to shake my head.
                        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Love them, pay attention to the instructions, if the flue passes through conditioned space it has to have a drain tee put in, or it condenses in the flue and pools enough to block the exhaust "don't ask, it took 3 hours with ao smith to figure it out, I was younger and dumber"

A.O. Smith

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

In Europe a tankless water heater is often in the bathroom, right above the tub, with the kitchen sink on the other side of the wall. As point of use, I think tankless can be cost effective. Or, in a one bath pool house which only gets occasional use. As for as costs go, installing a tankless in new construction is a lot less expensive vis-a-vis a tank than in retrofit because in new both gas and flue have to be run regardless of heater type. That said, I prefer a tank (BW or AOS are about the same) for a conventional American home with 2 or more baths and a remote location for domestic HW. Now if you've got a house with radiant heat, I'd go with a combi boiler and tank set up.
                            Plumbus, we discourage, actually it is not legal for us to install Tankless/Instantaneous wate heaters inside. Too much risk with lack of ventilation and CO poisoning

Comment

Plumbus, we discourage, actually it is not legal for us to install Tankless/Instantaneous wate heaters inside. Too much risk with lack of ventilation and CO poisoning
                              The high efficiency ones can be piped so combustion air comes in and flue gas goes out. If plumbed right, no danger from exposure. That said, see my comments above.

Comment

We mandate a co2 sensor in every home, in our local. Do You ?
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X