X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake fell into waste line

Ok...here is the problem. I was snaking out a 2" waste line (from the 5th floor kitchen but I think the waste line ties into a 3" line further down) and the 3/8" snake came out of the machine and went zipping down the pipe. Sounded like it fell about 7 feet or so. My building has en extension on the third floor so the pipes take a horizontal turn in the ceiling as they make their way to the kitchens on the other side of the building. So it may be down there somewhere but of course it's hard to sat for sure.
    I see that Ridgid makes a "retrieval auger" for this kind of situation. Anyone have any experience with this? The only other way would be for me to have to bash into kitchen wall and/or ceilings to get to the pipe and then of course cut open some pretty old cast iron, patch it etc etc.... Can I get that snake out of there with out turning this into a MAJOR project? Can anyone help with this? It appears that Ridgid does NOT make this auger for a 3/8"snake so....what advice does anyone have?

Thanks! Robert

Re: Snake fell into waste line

Yes use a retriever auger . Good luck Fishing. More experienced folks will follow.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hard telling how far it fell it could be a ways down best to video inspect to see where it's at and also aid in it's retrieval.

Comment

I would call a plumber with a camera to identity the location and assist with the retrieving. You don't want 2 cables stuck or push it down stream and make a bigger problem.

A retriever auger is not a sure bet. With a camera it's much safer.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

If it's draining, you don't need to be in a big hurry. So take your time, Find a plumber with a retriver head and camera that you feel confident isn't a sleaze bucket. And be nice, I seem to try harder and treat nice people nicer.

Comment

You would save $$$ if you bring in a real plumber with all the right equipment to get it out

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                If it's draining, you don't need to be in a big hurry. So take your time, Find a plumber with a retriver head and camera that you feel confident isn't a sleaze bucket. And be nice, I seem to try harder and treat nice people nicer.
                And if His name is Dunbar, Have a plate of COOKIES OUT !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am going to have to search for someone that can do it. Wish me luck on that one!

Robert

Comment

Do We have a member in Brooklyn that help this Man out ?

Comment

I'm with ^^^^. Get someone out to help with that. Likely a camera, a SKILLED drain cleaner, the right machine and some luck will get your cable out. I've never had that happen but I have pulled some old cables out of sewer mains

Comment

I am guessing it was not much of a clog if the snake went zipping down, or is the snake now stopped at the clog?

You need someone with experience and a microdrain camera (flexible, can maneuver in a 2" line), you should not send a retrieval tool by itself blindly hoping you happen to hook the snake, easy to make the problem worse.

Comment

Ok. this seems to be the consensus. Now i have to find someone who knows what they are doing in NYC!

Robert

Comment

Yes! Is anyone out here???

Robert

Comment

Contrary what others have said, hooking that piece of 3/8" cable just right and getting it back out of the 3" and into the 2" without falling off or folding over is a crapshoot at best IMO. Even aided with a camera. You probably have a better shot of having 2 pieces of cable stuck than just one. Not saying it can't be done.

Locate the 3" stack downstairs and cut out a section to retrieve the lost cable. Use cast iron snap cutters here, not a sawzall. The drywall repair will be less expensive than the camera fee and pucker factor working from the sink upstairs not to mention the odds move greatly in your favor. The hardest part will likey be keeping people from using water upstairs while your working.

We all want to be the hero but sometimes you need a more pragmatic approach to solve problems. This is one of them.

Either way, good luck (you'll need it) and report back with the results.

I'll bet next time you anchor that cable in the drum

Comment

Working...
                              X