Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water heater if water is shut off?

The water department is outside excavating and my water is shut off while they're working. This was just supposed to be from 12-2 today, but they've been fighting a lot, so apparently it's not going according to plan. I'm not getting any love searching forums and my plumber isn't answering the phone.

I have a hot water heater, so my question is, is it OK if I still have my heat on? My hypothesis is that it's going to use what's in the tank and will eventually run out and I may have to bleed it after the water comes back on, but this is all speculation based on very novice guessing.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Meg

Re: Hot water heater if water is shut off?

you can leave it on. if the water is off there is no pressure in the system to push it out. you will probably have some air in the system but if your water co is any good it will be minimal. the only way you can empty your heater (assumed to be a tank style) is to drain it from the bottom valve. if it makes you feel any better you can shut off the main water to the tank at the supply valve above it.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thank You Plumber Punky!

Comment

If its electric i would turn the power off to the water heater until i had water coming out of my faucets

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          you can leave it on. if the water is off there is no pressure in the system to push it out. you will probably have some air in the system but if your water co is any good it will be minimal. the only way you can empty your heater (assumed to be a tank style) is to drain it from the bottom valve. if it makes you feel any better you can shut off the main water to the tank at the supply valve above it.
          That's assuming you have a vacuum breaker installed if not and they turn your curb stop off. And its the self draining type and you try using hotwater it could technically back siphon the tank. If its electric turn it off before you turn the water off...period..better to be safe then sorry. Especially if its some where silly like your attic or second floor laundry room.

Comment

lets not forget about a circulating pump if you have 1. turn it off.

although a water heater is suppose to have a built in siphon break at the dip tube, they don't always work and i just had a call from my brother in law yesterday who's in houston. the plumber shut the water off to his house to try and swap out a tub valve cartridge. after several attempts he succeeded. problem was his 2- 40 gallon parallel piped heaters in the attic had siphoned a lot of water and the plumber turned on the main fast enough to stir up all the sediment in the heaters. not to mention the fact that the gas heaters probably dry fired with the tanks partially emptied.

my suggestion is to shut off your water main at the service entrance and wait until they turn on the street and flush out the system before you restore the water at your house. let the others get all the dirt and air.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yeh like Rick says, turn off to house, then when back on,,, first flush out through your hose bibs, all of them. Then out your tub spouts. Hopefully your toilets won't be get jammed up or your faucets.
              Is the water back on?

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                Yeh like Rick says, turn off to house, then when back on,,, first flush out through your hose bibs, all of them. Then out your tub spouts. Hopefully your toilets won't be get jammed up or your faucets.
                Is the water back on?
                If you start with the hose bibb closest to you meter or wher ethe water service enters your house you can flush out any crap with dragging through the whole system. Just use the one hose bibb and let it run until clear. You can check by putting a clean white rag over the end and running some water through it for a minute or two. Or fill a jar or glass with water and let it settle out for a half hour or more. Then look and see if its clean or if its slightly yellow which would indicate there is still some gravelly dirt in the system. It the water co is any good they will flush at the nearest hydrant on both sides of the repair. If they are jerks they will do nothing and you will have nasty water for quite a while, at which point you should call the water co and complain.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  lets not forget about a circulating pump if you have 1. turn it off.

although a water heater is suppose to have a built in siphon break at the dip tube, they don't always work and i just had a call from my brother in law yesterday who's in houston. the plumber shut the water off to his house to try and swap out a tub valve cartridge. after several attempts he succeeded. problem was his 2- 40 gallon parallel piped heaters in the attic had siphoned a lot of water and the plumber turned on the main fast enough to stir up all the sediment in the heaters. not to mention the fact that the gas heaters probably dry fired with the tanks partially emptied.

my suggestion is to shut off your water main at the service entrance and wait until they turn on the street and flush out the system before you restore the water at your house. let the others get all the dirt and air.

rick.

Maybe its just me, but I cant even imagine being able to sleep knowing there is a water heater over my head in the attic.
                  26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                    Maybe its just me, but I cant even imagine being able to sleep knowing there is a water heater over my head in the attic.
                    ya no kiddin!
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                      A very good friend of mine lives outside of Atlanta, Ga. He was in the Kays on Vacation, and his oldest called and said..."Dad, there is water running out your front door, did you leave something on?" His 80 gal. Heater was in the attic of a 2 story, custom built, farm style house... $127,000 worth of damage. All hard wood floors warped, all sheet rock had to be replaced, all cabinets in the kitchen had to be replaced... Homeowners insurance said that since the Heater had been out of warranty for almost 5 years, they were NOT going to cover it. 13 months later, they setteled on 65% of the damage. NO, I don't want any water other than what runs to an upstairs bathroom over my head either!!

Comment

Working...
                      X