X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber Rick--I need info

I've only ever had two toilet clogs and no issues with drains as a home owner. However trying to be prepared I do own a closet auger and one of those small Ridgid snakes that can be used with a drill. With one toilet clog I thought this would be a good time to put the auger to use. I cleared the clog easily with the auger but scratched the bowl. Luckily it was a minor scratch. For the future I've decided to plunge first before bring out the auger.

Comment

I'm torn on using the auger. I agree that it can be useful when there are harder blockages or debris stuck but in a more expensive toilet with a fully glazed trapway it WILL trash it. Maybe there needs to be a disclaimer that the customer signs before the auger is used.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I only use my auger when there is non human waste in the toilet. Typically the owner knows if something fell in or the kids toy is missing.

My plunger does 95% of all my toilet only stoppages. It also does a great job of pushing the left over stoppage out of a tub or shower trap after snaking a main line that has backed up into those fixtures.

My 6' auger actually does more showers than toilets. The bulb head will make a 2" trap.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I use the same one as AT made by Radiator Specialties. Well, used to be. Most of my toilets are commercial and none can be cleared with a plunger as its usually not a flushable item. For me a plunger is what I use to get the water out of a bowl needing to be pulled.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

This is the one I use. The only downfall is when it starts to wear out. Sometimes you get a pinhole at the edge that may spray poopie water at you.

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Update!! I searched every store in Grand Rapids and Bemidji, Mn. and could not find a continental 520 plunger.( I even checked all the outhouses :-) ) So, I went to the internet --found them listed at Amazon--OUT of STOCK! A week ago I checked again and they were all over (both in different stores and in price) I ordered one and I can now say I am up there with the elite!! Thanks every one for the input. (I hope it sits on the shelf unused)

Comment

Working...
              X