Large basin wrench slips and won't hold 1 3/8 inch nut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large basin wrench slips and won't hold 1 3/8 inch nut

We have large rigid basin wrench trying to turn aunt that holds a franke faucet to the counter. The nut is 1 3/8 and the wrench specifies 1 1/4 to 2 inch nuts. But it slips and we are working with the last teeth on the small side of the wrench and the arm and it keeps slipping. The width of the nut surface is about 1/4 inch.

Any advice? Would the rigid wrench that is supposed to go to 1 1/4 inch work on our 1 3/8. We are pretty frustrated, of course. Any ideas, please advise. Thank you in advance.

Debra and Joe
    Last edited by dkhen1636; 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM.

Re: Large basin wrench slips and won't hold 1 3/8 inch nut

If you are laying under the sink looking up, you will be turning the wrench counter clock wise to loosen the faucet nut. The long side of the wrench is doing the "pulling". Open the wrench to get as much purchase on the nut as possible. Push upward hard enough to maintain your position on the faucet nut and turn the handle around your pivot point. If done properly, the harder you turn, the tighter the wrench jaws will apply pressure to the nut. Wear safety glasses, you don't want any rust or brass particles getting into your eyes.
    Last edited by killavolt; 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM. Reason: Added commentary

Comment

I had the same problem about a year ago upgrading a 20-year old old kitchen faucet to a new style American Standard ceramic washerless design. Old Fixture refused to budge using of my 3 basin wrenches. All 3 basin wrenches slipped off the same 1/4 inch thick nut including a new Rigid extendable basic wrench. I ended up cutting off the water supply line closest to the old fixture, used a deep wall Harbor freight socket & extension & ratchet to get both hot and cold sides off. Prior to this I fought and fought, used up a good amount of kroil penetration oil w/o success. Hopefully you have a set of cheap impact sockets from Harbor Fright...if not chase down a set from a neighbor

Comment

Thank you both very much we will give it another go with basin wrench and also look into the socket solution. Great we really appreciate the quick responses.

Comment

We finally got it off. We bought a shower valve socket wrench set and a pipe cutting tool. After 2 hours again trying the socket set and basin wrench with crescent wrench for leverage. (We cut down the copper pipes, too)

We then just ripped the top part of faucet on the counter side and was able to turn it from the top with crescent wrench and used the basin wrench from the bottom to remove the nut.

End. And successful install of the new faucet.

Comment

Working...
          X