Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Rick!...How does everyone get this 1/8" thick basin nut off faucet fixtures? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick!...How does everyone get this 1/8" thick basin nut off faucet fixtures?

Wife has a appointment for me to swap out another sink faucet. Trouble is, the sink is of 1950's vintage along with what appears to be the original faucet fixture. Space underneath as usual is horribly cramped and this time the fixture is side-mounted to the sink. Attached picture is picture from a previous project but same securing nut.

Question to the experts here is .....I simply cannot get a bite on this with either Rigid 27018 tool or standard basin wrench...tightest American Standard wall mounted sink I have ever seen in my life!Attachment
    Don't want to remove the sink off the wall and if I do I might as well swap out the sink but am trying top avoid this route. Same picture show a "Basin Buddy" tool and this also will not fit the nut after I attach either a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch ratchet.
    Attached Files

Re: Rick!...How does everyone get this 1/8" thick basin nut off faucet fixtures?

Damn you dumb! Ever hear of a drill?

Comment

Re: Rick!...How does everyone get this 1/8" thick basin nut off faucet fixtures?

Tom thats not a very polite piece of advice ... I usually cut it off small hacksaw or multitool if you have access to one. Cut the faucet off from the top, then all that crap falls out the bottom, hope this helps.

Comment

If you do not want to cut the faucet off from the top,
        on a thin nut like that one can take a cold chisel and hit it and cut it splitting it or loosing it to the point one can remove it, I think some have talked about dermal tools in the past, if one has a good socket sometimes one can get that way some times a 6 point socket is best IMO,

on that old stuff things can get stuck and corroded very well, and some times destruction in some way, is the only way one is going to remove them,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

since you're not trying to salvage the faucet, just the sink, i would either use the drill to split the nut, or a hacksaw/ sawzall to cut the stems off from the front.

just don't shake the heck out of the sink or damage the finish, sink.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Tub wrenches work wonders on nuts like that
            You can fit them all inside each other to make a extension

Comment

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps0db009a2.jpg

these have helped me many times in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                Tom thats not a very polite piece of advice ... I usually cut it off small hacksaw or multitool if you have access to one. Cut the faucet off from the top, then all that crap falls out the bottom, hope this helps.
                Maybe it's because Swong is trying to save money to buy a big screen TV so instead of calling a plumber, he just gets the info here for free.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Tub sockets , deep sockets won't work from the back side of the stem most of the time as there is an outlet for the spout feed line that interferes. Plus this sounds like a edge mounted fixture that would make a socket impossible to fit even if there is no interference. I even have large crowsfoot wrenches in 3/8 & 1/2" drive.

Getting it off from the front is the way to go. American standard and crane were very popular at these designs.

Of course a picture of the real sink would eliminate the guessing.

Rick
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Remove The Sink From The Wall Then You Can Get At The Nuts {6} Six Ways To Sunday
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I'll bet that faucet was sold with a special socket to tighten that little feller. Unfortunately, those are often once and done tools. I usually leave such under the sink, as with an ISE tightening tool.

Comment

One word,,,, Dremel,,,,,
                        Whoops,,,,, 2 words,,,,, rotary tool
                        If you can't get up there as it comes to cut the nuts off, they make(should,Dremel has one) a little 90 attachment. That should do it. I have a 12 volt lithium, gets me out of jams all the time. One of my favorite tools, good luck.
                        Last edited by theplungerman; 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X