Preference for water heater connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preference for water heater connections

I am going to replace a WH and my house is done in polybutylene. I have 3 questions hopefully I dont get confusing trying to describe this.

At some point I will need to connect to the PB with pex. The choices I have are sharkbite PB connector or use a pex/PB crimp connection. Cost difference is huge but which is safer? any other choices?

Should the line off the cold to the expansion tank be before or after the cold shutoff? After seems logical but thought I would ask.

On the cold I need a T and a shutoff. I could put these in with pex and sharkbite or was thinking of using brass nipples to go from the tank to the T then nipple to the valve, then use threaded pex transition at the valve. I know sharkbite is easier but I figured the less of them the better. The T was for a feed to outside water and where I planned to hook up expansion tank.

Thank you .

Re: Preference for water heater connections

Sharkbites don't work on poly b you don't want a shutoff between your tank and expansion tank. I would never reccomend using a sharkbite ... I use them on cpvc cause to my knowledge its not available in Canada or atleast not easily available.

Comment

They do make a sharkbite for PB.

Comment

A polybutylene to CPVC/PEX sharkbite coupling

SharkBite 3/4 in. Brass Polybutylene Conversion Coupling U4016A at The Home Depot

Comment

My goal was to try and keep the sharkbite to a minimum , I know they assemble well but I want to avoid leaks later on. I have the sharkbite pb and the crimp pb/pex fitting.

Comment

Polybutene its only a mater of time tic tic tic

Comment

Working...
            X