X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Hot Water Pressure

My house is on county water with 7 years old 40 gal. gas heater. Plumbing is pex. About a month ago hot water pressure on all faucets & showers got low. Cold water pressure was fine. I thought inlet valve to heater may be bad. Called plumber & he put in new valve to heater. Pressure was restored, although the valve seemed to be OK. Today hot water pressure is low on all outlets again. Turned off main water shut-off, opened all hot water faucets & then turned water main back on. Hot water pressure is fine now. What is going on??? Do I just need to get a new hot water heater??? Thanks for any help.

Re: Low Hot Water Pressure

Do you have a dielectric unions on the tank that's most likely the culprit, if the answer is yes. Otherwise i would sdrain the tank and flush it out real good is it a top feed?

Comment

you got a restriction in the hot side nipple on the tank

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        you got a restriction in the hot side nipple on the tank
        Some heaters come with built-in check stops, heat loss nipples. Chances are they are sticking.

You can just pluck them out with needle nose or screwdriver. Both hot and cold.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, Deep. Yes, it is a top feed. I'll try a good flush when I get a chance, but right now it's fine. I don't understand why it comes and goes????

Comment

Originally posted by Riverchopper View Post
            Thanks, Deep. Yes, it is a top feed. I'll try a good flush when I get a chance, but right now it's fine. I don't understand why it comes and goes????
            Listen to RICK !!!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If no (working) water softener protects the water heater and it is over three years old you could have enough mineral build-up to impede the flow of water into the tank through the dip tube. Dip tubes run much closer to the bottom of the water heater on electric heaters than gas, so they would be a bit more susceptible to this problem.

Comment

Maybe something was loose on the valves. Try checking them and then tightening them if possible.
                plumbing in florida

Comment

Originally posted by Riverchopper View Post
                  My house is on county water with 7 years old 40 gal. gas heater. Plumbing is pex. About a month ago hot water pressure on all faucets & showers got low. Cold water pressure was fine. I thought inlet valve to heater may be bad. Called plumber & he put in new valve to heater. Pressure was restored, although the valve seemed to be OK. Today hot water pressure is low on all outlets again. Turned off main water shut-off, opened all hot water faucets & then turned water main back on. Hot water pressure is fine now. What is going on??? Do I just need to get a new hot water heater??? Thanks for any help.
                  Something tells me that the problem is in the heater, not the valve.
                  It looks like when the valve was replaced you had to shut off the system and then restart - the restart temporarily fixed the problem but it had nothing to do with the valve replacement.

Comment

Working...
                  X